Time to Vote for the September Project of the Month

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nominations Are:

• zeeprogrammer's 4-0-4 Loco

• putputman's Tiny IC Engine

• dreeves Rudys Radical 5

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well not to beat a dead horse...but I was thinking of this as a replacement for the contest....more of a showcase month by month of members accomplishments for all to see in one easy place, and even to refer back to months down the road after each month's postings are locked. Iti seems to me the "issues" all revolve around the voting....complex vs. simple, bling vs. plain, experienced vs. novice, etc. It should be about sharing and inspiring, not about "winning."

But that said, I will shut-up and leave others to comment.

b.lindsey said:
I was thinking of this as a replacement for the contest....more of a showcase month by month of members accomplishments for all to see in one easy place, and even to refer back to months down the road after each month's postings are locked.

That is exactly what it is. If all goes according to plan there will be a thread every month with finished projects. No comments, reference to any contest, just pictures of projects for that month. If POM ever shuts down this can live on and if you choose to not follow or vote in the POM the thread will be there to admire. The main focus is to have one centeral place to see what has been accomplished that month.

I can't help the fact that it will be the best place to find nominees but that is secondary to the intent.

Not to beat a dead horse, but we have, (for a long, long, long time), a place to showcase accomplishments that is in one easy place for everyone to use and see. Look at the top left side where it says Menu, then click on Gallery. The trouble is no one is using it.

Another area that is often over looked is Spell Check. When you Post reply to a thread, it is on the bottom right, and it works.

There is a lot of options for members to use with out creating more. The key is for members to start using them. Even when there is instructions, very few people read them. :)

Kenny

Rick and Moderators, what about the current month?

At the moment, we have one engine that has already had it's chance at POM, MONTHS ago. It was in
the voting line up back in Feb. Is this going to be considered okay? Will folks be able to nominate
the same engine over and over, no matter how long ago it was built, and no matter that it has already
been in the POM previously?

We also have a picture of parts as a nomination. This is not to take away from Dave's parts, but they
are not a completed project, yet.

It seems like this needs to be addressed. There are others here who have new, completed projects
this month who can now not be in this months running because we have old POM nominations and
incomplete projects in their place.
This does not seem right.

Dean

stevehuckss396 said:
Yes that is exactly correct. I would think that 3 pics would be max. I would suggest that a winner would be retired but nominees that do not win could be nominated again. That way if there are 2 exceptional builds in a single month, both could be winners depending on the voters.

Steve, I believe you have the essence of what is/has happened here. To have such a 'listing' as it were, to be able to view and perhaps assist some of us in "remembering" what has been done (I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast some times) AND to be able to go back and re-nominate a project a second time around, I think can be a good
thing. Any winners that have been chosen are then retired from the list or duly noted in the listing. Tally Ho! gentlemen, and thanks to all of the administrators of HMEM for their patience, understanding, and willingness to listen to what its membership has to say. This site IS by far the best.

BC1
Jim

Feeling like the kid in the backrow...

But first...technically, my loco isn't done yet. For one thing, I didn't say it was done.

I too struggle with the POM. The controversy it generates may speak not just to whatever anyone thinks is fair or unfair, but to a general worry that it may cause the forum to degenerate into what you see on other forums. (Although I doubt that can happen given the fine group of people we have. ;D )

As much as I feel honored to have been nominated...I get a lot of joy out of the thread. More than a vote...it's people commenting on my 'trials and tribulations'.

I'm not sure about the 'thread of projects'. For one thing, Kenny makes a good point about the 'Gallery'. The question is why it's not used. I suspect it's because people would feel uncomfortable with posting a pic of 'look what I did'. I think the 'thread of projects' will suffer the same fate. In addition, they'd have to realize it's there when they're in the middle of posting what they think is the end of their current thread and are anxious to move on to the next project. I can't say I would post in it. I would feel I'm intruding and not of the same caliber.

I'm kind of the mind that the POM can go away and we don't need to do anything special. Our individual threads seem enough.

This will be the last month for the POTM voting.

The Logo Banner will still be changed mid month to showcase a build from the previous
month. It will just be chosen in a different manner.

Rick

rake60 said:
This will be the last month for the POTM voting.

The Logo Banner will still be changed mid month to showcase a build from the previous
month. It will just be chosen in a different manner.

Good god Rick I am so sorry. I was just trying to help and make things easier for everybody. My most humble and sincere apology!!

Oh Dear Lord what have I done? To all the members here as well as the administrators I am so very sorry for having re-nominated a previous 'runner up' (Arv, I mean no disrespect in that by any means, I hope you understand) Little did I realize that by doing so would have unleashed such a maelstrom that seems to be bringing an end to the POM event. Please forgive me for having done so, it was not intended to disrespect or alienate anyone, much less do such harm to the site that I enjoy the most. So to Rick and everyone else, once again, I am so very sorry for any damage or upset that I have created.

Sincerely

Jim B.

I don't think anyone needs to apologize.

While the POTM is a nice way of recognizing someone's skill, effort, or whatever...the real recognition is seen in the thread. I'm real happy with that.

I appreciate the level of interest our members have in keeping this a great forum. And I appreciate our moderators and administrators that have to make the, often tough, decisions.

Please don't anyone take my decision as their personal responsibility!

HMEM has simply outgrown it as a forum.

It has simply become something that doesn't work with a membership
of this size.

We will find a better way.

Rick

Guy's, this has been a long time coming. Look back and will see lots of discussions and disagreements about the subject. I am sure no one single person or thread triggered this. I am sure Rick will come up with something. I for one would still like to recognize those that I think have done a above and beyond job of presenting a build thread here. I tend to go for the project that I think the builder put a lot of time in documention and explaining processes and sharing ideas and asking great questions. I have my own thoughts about what I think should be able to be voted on. I am sure they probably differ from others...that is what makes Ricks job tough on coming up with something else.

I haven't been around here for long but just my thoughts. I like the project of the month and click on the link at the top of the page to check it out. But I'm thinking if the "Project of the month" isn't working out too well, sometimes it's because there are too many good nominees for a particular month so worthy non winners gets renominated for a second chance. I also don't regularly check out the nominees to vote but generally check out the latest threads in the recent category on the left of the page. Interesting projects get a lot of attention even after a long return from dormancy. How about a general vote on a project like "Outstanding Achievement". It could be like the Karma vote and voted on whenever a member thinks the project has advanced to a certain level. Problem would be determining the tipping point in votes for honor of "Outstanding Achievement", percentage of membership, fixed number or?

I read this forum every day and really enjoy it except for POM.It seems to me that it only causes trouble every month lately and to no benifit .

Every project that is completed in here should be its own reward to the builder,as they are all a great achevement.

I think the troublesome POM should be put to bed and forgoten.and we all go back to just enjoying this great forum with its wonderfull group of people .

Ian (seagar)

Latest posts

Back