TIM 6 ignition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My circuit uses an IGBT transistor. That's what they use in automobile ignitions.

Hello Dsage,
I have a question coming from an individual with no ignition electronic knowledge. Is it possible to switch out the TIM 6 power transistor with its max 100 V limit with an IGBT transistor of a higher voltage limit using the TIM 6 soldering layout / available physical space and circuit board wiring or is there more of a modification required? Please excuse my apparent ignorance in this matter. Thanks.

Peter J.

At least among British car people, "earthed" seems to mean the same thing as "grounded" means to an American. Could just be a regional dialect thing going on here.

What matters most is what you do, not whether folks in your part of the world describe it differently than they do here.
Generally Americans do indeed use "ground" but I have heard "earth" used a lot when I was a kid (last week)

Hello Dsage,
I have a question coming from an individual with no ignition electronic knowledge. Is it possible to switch out the TIM 6 power transistor with its max 100 V limit with an IGBT transistor of a higher voltage limit using the TIM 6 soldering layout / available physical space and circuit board wiring or is there more of a modification required? Please excuse my apparent ignorance in this matter. Thanks.

Peter J.
Short answer NO.
As far as I'm aware the TIM module uses a PNP power transistor driving the high side of the coil. My use of IGBT is effectively as an NPN device driving to ground.

Automotive ignition IGBT's are indeed the answer, easy to drive and hard to kill. Plenty of options out there.

Did you just use the term ground?

Common, chassis, ground, battery negative, or maybe even battery positive in certain situations.

What is ground? An unlimited sinking source?

Just some random Saturday evening thoughts.

LOL.

I consider ground one of the main connections to the power supply and a place that circuit current is seeking to return to. As you say could be negative or positive. Such as old cars used to be positive ground.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/tci-bo...onic-ignition-ignitor.3289/page-5#post-385549
Just some information that I acquired over the years. Yes, the "Bug Eyed Earl" avatar is me .
If you search "$19 dollar junkyard ignition" You'll run into Brett Riggs and a few others including myself detecting, inspecting, neglecting, and regurgitating on the subject.
I didn't go into the Briggs & Stratton "thingy" as that's covered in detail elsewhere.

Dennis

P.S.
Just occurred to me that you might try running in the dark. Electrical potential , like water seeks it's own level.
If the spark can find an easier path to ground than the spark plug, it will take it .

Back