Three Cylinder Radial Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stew,

Great looking engine and the base really sets it off. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

It really does look good, Stew. I like the acorns, too.

Dean

Thanks for your good wishes Lads

I've got it running its a bit slugish I think my compresor is short of wind, not a lot of action to see realy stuck a bit of sticky tape on the flywheel so you could see it was going round, my untidy shop is probably more interesting.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eI926C1PGs[/ame]

:D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :)

Going to take it arround to a friends to try it on a bigger compressor and try a tacko on it.

I'll post a proper edited Vid later

A happy Stew

IT LIVES!!!! She just needs a little break-in time. Pat yourself on the back for you've a nice piece of bragging material. :bow:

Congratulations Stew.
woohoo1
A well done project.
Gail in NM

Really a nice looking engine! Was the sound from the engine or your compressor?

Chuck

Well done! congratulations.

It looks great, and quick too.

Hi Chaps thanks very much for your comments.

Chuck thats the compressor you can hear, the engine is relatively quiet bit like a cats purr.

John breathed a bit of extra life into it, I'd got too much clearance in the orbital valve in the team chest, it really speeds along now tacho reading 2200 RPM at max air pressure and it throttles down to just a whisper.

I've got some vids that I'll edit and post over the weekend.

Thanks again

Stew

It's really quiet, and very smooth running, Stew.
Super job you've done there!

Dean

Dean/Rick/Kvom

Thanks very much for your kind comments

Her's a posh pic for the album

IMG_2029.jpg

And the promised edited Vid

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNPtbzcx89w[/ame]

Its been a really enjoyable engine to build, I hope you guys have enjoyed the journey as much as I have.

I've brought the drawings up to date and frozen them by changing the text from red to black, and attached them to this post

Have fun

Stew

View attachment Sht 1-Model.pdf

View attachment Sht 2-Model.pdf

View attachment Sht 3-Model.pdf

View attachment Sht 4-Model.pdf

I did get an opportunity to handle this engine yesterday, and I can honestly say, it looks much better than the original Westbury one that I built a few years ago.

With Stew's metric conversion, and some redesigns of the conrod and crank area, he has also managed to get rid of a few of the problem parts that I had when making mine, which was a bit of a dog to make from the casting set I bought.

I did help a minute amount, with a little bit of surface grinding, but only because I don't think Stew realised how much paper gaskets can be compressed when tweaked up, we just relieved a few tight spots and closed down other gaps.
I made mine without gaskets, so didn't hit the same problems.

Nice one Stew. You've got something to be proud of there.

Blogs

Stew,

Smooth as a baby's bottom. :bow: :bow:

I have exactly the same tacho, given to me by a friend when he retired.

Best Regards
Bob

Ahh, without the compressor noise in the background, you can hear that is really has a pleasant "radial" kind of sound.
A super job of it, Stew. Great reading the thread and seeing the pics, too.
Thank you!

Dean

Stew,
Very nice build. I can't believe how smoothly it runs.
Dennis

:bow: :bow: Great job Stew ;D

Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards, Arnold

Hmmm... Metric... with plans... Oh No - another round tuit!

well done, a very nice running engine
it looks well balanced too, or it was fixed to the table in a very strong way :)

congrats :bow:

Latest posts

Back