Threading, finally got it

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
threading.jpg

I want to thank those that has made the understanding of threading more easy, it took 15-20 tries to get what you see in the picture, the two on the left was turned with the 6 inch Atlas that I have and the other two was with the 14X40 Harbor Freight, learned something about the HF, you have to move the compound in to get the cut, if I move the cross slide in it makes threads that have the angle on one side only, is it me or is that they way it is on that kind of machine, still learning, don't think I will ever get to where some of you fellows are, maybe if I live to be 300 years old, thanks again for the threading tips, Lathe Nut

Congratulations Lathe Nut

Those thread look just fine!

The more you cut the better they get.
I remember dreading the thought of single point cutting a thread.
Now I look forward to it. Except for cleaning the chips out of the chip pan.
Those sharp little buzzards cut me at least once every time! LOL

Keep Puttin The Screws To Em! ;)

Rick

Way to go Lathenut! I am still working up to being able to do that.

Eric

I am not sure I understand your question on cutting threads on your HF lathe. Advancing the compound, which is set at 29 degrees, is the normal way to single point threads. Your cutting tool has to ground to the correct angle and be perpendicular to the work

Stan, let me reword that, might have said it wrong, If I cut threads for instance on the little 6 inch Atlas, set the compound at 30 degrees, set the cross slide just to where the tool touches the work, then feed the compound in to cut the threads, if I do that on the 14X40 lathe the threads will not come out correct, but if I leave the compound in place and reed the cross slide in the threads are correct, like I am mixed up or the lathe is but it works that way, just wondering if someone might have seen this in one of the HF lathes, learn something new each day, thanks again for the help, sure love this page, take care, Lathe Nut

It confused me also?

When threading you should set the compound to 29.5 degrees. This lets the tool cut on one side only. If you set it at 30 degrees it will cut on the front and back of the tool at the same time and cause troubles. Are you saying that the dial is off? On some when you dial in .010" it will take .010" off the diameter. Some when you dial in .010" it will take .020" off the diameter. Is this what you are talking about?

Wes

lathenut: Not all lathes have the compound quadrant marked the same. Is it possible that the 30 degrees you set on the HF lathe is not the same angle as the 30 degrees you set on the 6"? The HF lathe should work the same way as the Atlas so something has to be different in the setup.

If you show a picture or explain exactly what the incorrect thread is like, I am sure some of the mathematical genii here (not me) could calculate where the error occurs.

On some lathes the compound is marked the opposite way. Our Clausing/Metosa s are "the other way".
It requires 60.5 deg rather than 29.5.
...lew...

Back