Thread claculation spreadsheet

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshsapp

Reaction score
I submit for the members a thread calculation spread sheet. The spreadsheet does use macros.

Attachments

• Screw Thread Calculator to share.xlsm
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 809
How did you manage to upload a spreadsheet? When I tried it was not an accepted format.
Hi tornitore45 this will be read by in "Open Office" with a warning that the "Macros MAY contain Viruses". I have not attempted to use it yet or scan for Viruses

Downloaded and checked it out - it looks very technical

I just found this thread and I’ve got to say this is a most valuable piece of work to have in my iPad, especially for the pipe thread calculations! Instead of hunting it down in my books, it’s all right here in one easy to use format.

Thanks a million for your hard work and for sharing it!

John W
Camp Verde, AZ

I had a faint hope I could use your spreadsheet in Libreoffice Calc, but for anyone else who want to try this don't bother. Unfortunately macros don't translate between Excel and LibreOffice, so the macros would have to be re-written to make this work in LibreOffice.

Having said that - for the benefit of those who can use your spreadsheet with Excel I would suggest adding an introduction page which explains what the spreadsheet is for and how to use it.

Looks great! I didn't check every parameter but seems to correspond to the website I use.
http://theoreticalmachinist.com/Threads_UnifiedImperial.aspx

I know this is probably intended as a hobby assist tool, one minor suggestion is to have a nomenclature page since there are lots of abbreviations. Most people might know what they are, but many may not. Or standardize the terminology to a cut & paste reference image, attached example. Another option I often do in spreadsheets is put a more full description in a cell comment so that when you hover over, it conveys the whole definition or other useful information. Some people like this because its helpful, some people find it busy & prefer a cleaner look & a separate 'nomenclature' page. Thanks for contributing!

Attachments

• SNAG-4-26-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-4-26-2019 0000.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 127
Why?

Craig

Simply didn’t take the time to wipe them out. I created these sheets for work, years ago, and use the macros for various functions of my work. These were paired down and cleaned up a bit to submit.

Last edited:
Looks great! I didn't check every parameter but seems to correspond to the website I use.
http://theoreticalmachinist.com/Threads_UnifiedImperial.aspx

I know this is probably intended as a hobby assist tool, one minor suggestion is to have a nomenclature page since there are lots of abbreviations. Most people might know what they are, but many may not. Or standardize the terminology to a cut & paste reference image, attached example. Another option I often do in spreadsheets is put a more full description in a cell comment so that when you hover over, it conveys the whole definition or other useful information. Some people like this because its helpful, some people find it busy & prefer a cleaner look & a separate 'nomenclature' page. Thanks for contributing!

Great idea. Will check into it in my spare time. The numbers should work. Every thing is out of the Machinists Handbook.

Latest posts

Back