This tool...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagon173

Reaction score
I understand that it's some sort of micrometer. It's made by starrett. My girl picked it up a few weeks ago from craigs list with about 10 assorted starrett mics for a hundred bucks for me. I'm sure I could figure out a good use for it, but I'm clueless as to what it actually is and I can't make out the part number. It has a couple of little plungers almost like a brake caliper and then there is a mic dial with a shorter extension inside the handle. So does anybody know just what the heck this thing is actually used for? Thanks -Brandon

IMGP0278_zps7011d92e.jpg.html
IMGP0279_zps7f340982.jpg.html
IMGP0280_zpsd908a3f1.jpg.html

look like a bore indicator for measuring large bore of engine blocks. Are you in an area that had a plant that built engines?
Tin

It's for measuring engine cylinder diameter and taper. I was an Automotive Machinist for years and have used these many times. You set it with an O.D. mic, then use the long handle to slide it up and down the cylinder. Nice find!
Cheepo45

Its a bore sledd. Use it to check any bigger bores with about a thou of accuracy. I use them all the time at work when we repair injection molding machine barrels. Nice little indicator there!

Hi,

It is a bore micrometer, do you have all the rods?

A.G

Hi,

It is a bore micrometer, do you have all the rods?

A.G

Sorry It's been a minute lensman. Yes I have both of the rods that come with it. You're talking about the two that interchange in the little collet?

Hi Wagon 173,

I am sure that it can be adapted to be of use in other applications, it is a very unusual looking one though.

Regards,

A.G

Yea that's what I thought. I'm ashamed that I didn't know what it was being a diesel mechanic and all. But in the army they only buy us the basic tools. The extras are on us. Being that they don't like us tearing down the engines (Not that I listen all that much) They definitely don't have anything like this laying around our shops. What I'll never understand is why they want us to change major assemblies as opposed to fixing it and replacing the broken part. It's like they want us to know enough to be useful to them but not be able to make our way as a civilian mechanic. I'm inherently rebellious though and tear it down anyway. Except the automatic transmissions. The one time I did, the only think it taught me was that 9 million snap rings and clutches can, infact, fit into a 1x2 tube. And they WILL NOT go back without a fight :p

Back