This morning - view from the shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better you than me we got to 35F now and a drizzly rain, they say it might get colder again this week.

Todd

Nice view out your windows there!

Weather man recently reported we have 96 inhes of snow so far this winter. 5° F when I walked to work this morning. I know, not as much snow as some of you, not as cold as many places (I'm neither bragging nor complaining) but for us here in SW MI it is colder than normal and more snow than average. But on the plus side, as Lake MI freezes over, we get less lake effect snow and more sunshine which is great. I remember one winter not too many years ago when there was not a complete day of sunshine from Nov. to March. (short bits of sun some days, but no complete days) That bites...

Paul (with weather like this definitely not from Oz)

PS, I keep throwing in these tag lines because Swifty has been around a lot longer on here than me and I don't want to take any credit away from him or have anyone blaming him for my bad posts. :p

Last edited:
Here's the view outside my back door. Heavy wet snow. The power has already flickered a few times. Between clearing snow and prepping a generator, no shop time today

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Stan,
Yeah, we're about in the same boat here in Ohio. Saturday afternoon and evening it go up into the mid 40's with quite a bit of rain so it melted 80% of the snow pack that we had (8 inches). When I got up Sunday morning I was surprise to see that the rain had once again turned to snow overnight and we were back to about 4-5 inches on the ground again. I think this winter is making up for the last several mild winters we've had. It's not all that bad though as it gives me more time in the shop.
Stay warm,
gbritnell

Nice view out your windows there!

Weather man recently reported we have 96 inhes of snow so far this winter. 5° F when I walked to work this morning. I know, not as much snow as some of you, not as cold as many places (I'm neither bragging nor complaining) but for us here in SW MI it is colder than normal and more snow than average. But on the plus side, as Lake MI freezes over, we get less lake effect snow and more sunshine which is great. I remember one winter not too many years ago when there was not a complete day of sunshine from Nov. to March. (short bits of sun some days, but no complete days) That bites...

Paul (with weather like this definitely not from Oz)

PS, I keep throwing in these tag lines because Swifty has been around a lot longer on here than me and I don't want to take any credit away from him or have anyone blaming him for my bad posts. :p

I'll take the blame for anything if you like, I'm always happy so it won't hurt me (my wife might disagree).

We had our youngest sons wedding on Saturday, the ceremony was in the gardens of the wedding venue, and the temperature was about 35C. The groom and groomsmen were all in black suits with vests as well, so we all felt sorry for them sweltering in the sunshine, the guests were feeling the heat as well. The first beer afterwards went down a treat.

You probably get use to the winter wonderland scenery, but it would be a treat for us over here. We're due for another heat wave next week, by that we mean temps from 35 to 42 approx. or even hotter.

Paul.

Last edited:
35F sounds great right now.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Would love snow here, we only get a couple of days of it a year, 4 inches at most :( I have to make do with drizzle

Somewhat reminds me of the first time my sister and I met our cousins, back in 1950 and just outside London. It was wintertime and the girls, from Venezuela, had never seen snow, so they stripped naked and just rolled around in the snow in our garden.
Geoff,
Thailand, where Cold is considered to be cooler than 15C

Would love snow here, we only get a couple of days of it a year, 4 inches at most :( I have to make do with drizzle

I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford with the USAF in the mid 70's. My daughter was born on St. Patrick's Day in Oxford, and I had to drive the wife to the hospital in 3" of snow! Had a devil of a time getting the car out of the driveway in Duns Tew.
Spring is trying to arrive here in Tennessee! Wahoo! 54 deg. F today!
Chuck

The rural area I was born in had a fairly heavy snow year in 1955-56 and that January there were several mothers in the area that were expecting (mine included) so the road commissioner made a point of keeping the roads past those houses clear. Growing up I remember snow so deep on the roads (drifting more than just pure downfall) that the township equipment couldn't get through so my father was hired (he was an excavating contractor) to bulldoze the snow up over the fences and out into the fields in places.

Paul (originally from Illinois)

Woke up this morning to a 60 F. house. The ice storm has left about 600,000 homes in the area without power.
Connected the generator that I bought last summer. YES! House is now 70 F. Lights, TV, internet.
Any thoughts on running the Bridgeport (220V 1 phase in and 220V 3 phase out VFD) from generator power?
Can it damage the VFD?

Latest posts

Back