This guy had a bad day!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
Make sure your volume is turned up.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPPp1A1gj2M[/ame]

Boy I'd say............ Where's that E-Stop........Too Late!!

Niiiice one. :eek: Gotta love the shower of sparks from the spindle taper. Ugh.

When he asked the boss for money to replace the damage done..................................That's when you'd really see sparks fly. :fan: :hDe:

Best Regards
Bob

This one made my butt pucker :eek:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzb-i7-fuq8[/ame]

Ah, I don't even need to play that last one, I've seen it.
Actually I've seen it in person, too, a guy at work mistyped a spindle speed command and overcame the chuck clamping pressure. The baseball-sized slug ran around inside the machine long enough for me to look over at him and the rumbling machine, then the chuck jaws launched it at his head. Stupid door switch override. Ugh.

Those are the kinds of things that bring the office people running
out to the shop floor to see what happened.
Don't ask me how I know that!
:hDe:

One day I took a chance on maxing out the capacity of the tool changer
by placing a long, heavy boring bar in the magazine. It worked fine the first
two times. During the third time the plant manager and CEO of the company
were giving a group from a potential customer a tour of the shop. The tool
changer fumbled the boring bar and it dropped back down into the spinning
chuck. When a Mazak machine encounters a problem in a tool change operation
the manual control inputs are limited. I hit the feed hold, E-Stop and Rest buttons
to no effect. I finally held the Spindle Down button in to stop the machine.
The potential customers were scared to death, and the plant manager was less
than impressed with me. He even stopped me on my way out the door that
night to ask what I done wrong in that situation. Out of political correctness I
told him that I had done EVERYTHING wrong in that situation.
I am sure that he would have been able to manage that tool fumble much better
than someone who actually had the training to operate that machine could
ever dream of doing.

CNC crashes SUCK!
They happen faster than ANY operator can react to.

I always got a kick out of senior operator in our CNC department.
His machine would shudder, the smoke would fly and finally the overload
would kick in and stop the machine.

Steve would casually open the door of the machine, look in and say,
"Well now, that ain't right..."

Talk about a hero!
:D

Rick

once when we were visiting one factory one of the workers showed a mill, which launched the workpiece trough the about 2mm steel wall and flew about 100 metres away from the workshop. i was told that several workpieces flew away and the workes covered like in a bombraid ;D

The last one I too have seen in person mater fact I recognize the machine as a Cinturn.
Same machine had a fixture in place and didn't have a part in place and had wrong spindle RPM and the fixture basically exploded and took out the bullet proof window.

rake60 said:
The tool changer fumbled the boring bar and it dropped back down into the spinning
chuck.

was that on one of those 5 axis Intergrex's? the place i used to work had a few of them i remember specifically the boss telling me to watch out for swarft getting in the tool changer big money if you crash one of them!!! i never did but another apprentice did more than a few times

the last big crash i had was me forgetting to put the tailstock up before running the program man the noise!!! the i had a brain F#*$ and i thought "let it finish cutting or you will smash the whole tool!" it came out really cool and then not to much cash latter it cleaned up and you wouldn't have known ;D

Yes it was an Intergrex.

I am painfully aware of the chips sticking on the tool holders and on the spindle.
I have also seen a few instances where operators had disabled the tail stock barrier
to touch off the end of a piece and forget to turn it back on before pressing Cycle Start.
If the TPC's were entered correctly that is not a problem. If they weren't, things get
ugly very quickly.

Rick

CNC is great when things work proper, but when they don't its usually over before you can stop it. The first one I saw was an Instructor at College run the tool into the chuck on a lathe, He turned to us and said "Do as I say not as I do". They had changed chucks and had not reset the controls or tagged the machine.
The first one I had was running through a set of clamps. The setup sheet had not matched the program, one or the other had been modified. When I got to the position where I was doing the programing I listed the setup sheet by rev. # in the program comments.
Regards,
Gerald.

Latest posts

Back