Third Project, 1912 Indian

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motormagican

Reaction score
Now that I finished the 1886 Benz, I will start on scaling plans for a 1912 Indian Motorcycle. It will fit in with the year vehicles I plan to build (one day). I hope to retire and move back to Texas at which point I plan on purchasing a lathe and mill. I hope to make the engine run this time. The Benz engine made on a TV tray with some hand tools did in fact turn over and all the parts worked. It is kind of crude and with better tools I hope to make one run.
I will post as progress allows and want to thank everyone who has showed me so much while watching your builds progress.

Danny

Photo for Build drawings.jpg

Hi Danny
That will be fantastic project mate, you can count on me following along :cool:
Pete

An Indian I bought as an unfinished project in 1984. Took a bit to complete it and get it to run properly.
Started of as a 741 B 500 cc Army motor ended up at 750 cc. Twin point Ignition, morgo oil pump , triumph gearbox, Honda 450 frame

img017.jpg

Subscribed. Looks like a great project. I dont have any Indians but I have a Harley equivalent to GoldFlash;'s Hondian, the 750cc Narley.

Note the oil under the Notrun gearbox.

Hello and thanks for sharing the photos. I say those are great looking bikes. Hope to see others and get some ideas.

Just a note to keep in contact, I did get the retirement and will be headed home to Texas at the end of the month. I hope once I get home I can start getting back on the Indian project. I have to scale the photos into plans and with the work I have at home around the farm it may take a while.

I will keep watching the progress and updates on the site.

Thank you for looking,
Danny

Good day all,
Well, I am home here in South Texas; hot! It has been over 100 degrees everyday with humidity around 97 percent. Shoot you take a shower, dry off, get to you feet and have to start all over again.
I have not had time to start the plans, got home and there is a list of items that need my attention. My workshop has been taken over by my wife Kim. She has show dogs and well, a lot of dog items now live in my shop.
I am going to build her, her own shop just of her show dogs, this will keep her safe from the machines.
Take care all and again I want to say what a great site and good people using it. :D

Why not build a version of a real 1912 Indian instead of one of those recently made gimmick 2 stroke powered bicycle types?
Mark

Hello Mark,
Well, you hit it on the head. I have been working on building a full scale Indian. I have a few things around the house to tend to. I am planning on building a bigger workshop, getting a lathe and mill so I can better build parts. I built the 1886 Benz Motorwagon using only a file, hacksaw, hand drill, and pliers. It was kind of hard and a lot of parts had to be remade to get the engine to turn over with all the parts working. I hope to build an engine I can start. I think anyone who builds a small engine in their workshop must have a great feeling of pride when it starts for the first time.
Take care, I will continue to follow builds on this site.

The bike in post #3 is the best looking bike I've ever seen. I could see me riding that bike if it wouldn't look like an elephant screwing a football. Is it an army frame? Can you tell me some specifics to the bike? As to what frame and tank and so forth that is?

I think the name gives it away...750 Narley....Norton frame Harley donk
Looks like a "featherbed" to me...
Unless of course your talking about the Honda 450 framed Harley engined machine

Thanks for the comment.
Engine is WW2 741 B army issue 500 CC bored and stroked to 750 CC
( home made crankshaft )
Standard Camshafts but with twin point ignition of 1 cam shaft and a Triumph Morgo Oil Pump Driven of the other Cam Shaft.
Gearbox was of a Triumph and 4 speed
Alternator mounted on end of crankshaft ( Lucas )
Carb was a SU stolen of a mini
Frame was a Honda 450 that was lengthened by 2 inches so motor and gear box would fit inside.
Everything was drilled or made from aluminium where possible to keep it light and the whole lot came in under 300 lbs
top speed was about 85 mph and i had a lot of fun chasing late night working girls along the foot path in the local red light area .
Eventually it got stripped to sort out oiling problems and got sold of in parts when classic racing took of.
One plan was to convert it to overhead valve and I did cut up some VW heads to see if they would fit. They would with a bit of work.

I want to thank everyone who is posting or will be posting on this Thread. I have been enjoying the photos, stories, and direction this is going. Once I get some of the plans finished (have some work around the house first) I plan on starting the build.

Thanks again for all the posts

Latest posts

Back