thearing a part a micrometer? is posible??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anko

Entusiasta
Reaction score
Hi to all

I haven't post in a while, but I still follow the forum periodically!

Rigth now Im making some small tools that I will need in the future, and one of those a inside micrometer, I have a spare import micrometer that Im trying to rip a part, the goal is to separate the frame from the mic head, and put a new frame with the proper anvil to measure the tickness of the wall of a tube shaped piece.

that way if I know the OD of the piece and the tickness of the wall I can get the bore diameter.

but I cant get the frame out, I get a shot with a dremel to weak the union, thinking that was a press-fit type but no luck in that, before I totally destroy the poor micrometer, is posible to do this?

My micrometer is like this one

Outside_micrometer.jpg

And I want to turn it intro something like this:

tube-micrometer.jpg

???

Saludos!

The micrometer you have may be different, but looking at the micrometer heads shown in this link http://www.mitutoyo.com/pdf/E1006MicrometerHeads.pdf
suggests that it will be a press fit...of course, there is nothing to prevent the one you have from being threaded.

I guess the answer to your question is yes, you ought to be able to take the head off the frame, but like the previous poster i think a ball attachment for the micrometer anvil would be a much simpler solution.

As George pointed out a ball tip for an ordinary mike is a much simpler solution.

It is possible to measure tube wall thickness with an ordinary mike if you mathematically account for the chord formed by the fixed anvil on the mike.

If the math is too much for you, you can use the TUBEWALL program on my website.

Hi,
For occasional use, it is easy to place a dowel or gage pin in ID of the tube and carefully measure with a standard mic while moving the pin around a bit to get it straight. A little math and you'll have the thickness of the wall. Sounds difficult, but you will quickly find this a handy technique.

Dave

variation on a theme here take a ball bearing and a piece of electronic heat shrink tube and you have an adapter. done cheap. Done quick.
Ok had to prove my method extra Polish mics .250 ball and a piece of 6mm heat shrink tube. took less than 5 minutes no fuss or muss.
this does turn a 1" mic into a .750 tube mic but no biggie and i can remove the ball if needed. thanks I now have a tube mic
DSCI0015-1.jpg

Tin

Great idea Tin.
gbritnell

very good idea, indeed.

Will work for all my uses -- but not a substitution for a proper mike. you do not know that the balls are well aligned.

thanks for showing this,

tom in MA.

ttrikalin said:
very good idea, indeed.

Will work for all my uses -- but not a substitution for a proper mike. you do not know that the balls are well aligned.

thanks for showing this,

tom in MA.

balls? You only use one ball, typically mounted to the mike anvil. I believe that's what Tin did although it does look a bit like something is mounted to the mike ram.

I used to use a system similar to Tim but with a ball on each anvil to measure the distance between two parralel bores in the good old days before nc machining and digital read outs. The bores were usualy big enougth to accomadate the micrometer thimble.
ie add the two bore sizes together, divide by 2, and subtract from centre distance to give micrometer distance to be measured.
Graham

no nothing mounted to the mic ram just the stationary anvil.
just a improvised home edition to the commercial adapter.
I just put the ball in the Mic. cut the hs tube to length by eye. then slipped the tube over the ram clamped the ball back down then heated in place.
Tin

I have a Starrett Ball Attachment very much like the one Tin shows.

The ball is EXACTLY .100" in diameter.

In my professional machining career, several parts were machined to a
perfect .100" undersize because I forgot to add the diameter of the ball.

I love my hobby shop but can't say I miss working as a machinist everyday.

Now if I miss a size, it's a nick in the paint of the basement wall.

At "WORK" it was a cocky inspector > quality control manager > shift foreman >
plant superintendent > Vice President of operations kind of thing.

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!" *club*

"Gee I don't know, How did that fender get caved in on your car? That telephone
pole must have have been as brain dead as me, or it would have seen you backing up
and moved out of the way."

File that under, "HOW NOT TO SCORE POINTS AT WORK!" ;)

Rick

just woww!

what a simple solutions! just put a ball with heatshrink or use a gage pin.. :bow:

with those greats ideas I just loose the motivation of keep trying to separate my micrometer!

Thanks to all for the responses!, I can rest in peace now that I can measure internal bores!, because I can't get much with my telescoping gage set, now I got two ways to measure and compare!

Saludos!

anyway it would be interesting if a special technique is found to separate the head of a import micrometer to use in other precision tooling projects ::)

mklotz said:
balls? You only use one ball, typically mounted to the mike anvil. I believe that's what Tin did although it does look a bit like something is mounted to the mike ram.
Fair. Did.not notice. Indeed, one ball is enuf

Take care,
Tom in MA

Maybe not into modifying, but I actually have the real thing.

wallmic01.jpg

But when it comes to measuring wall thickness or in fact anywhere I can get the ball down, I always reach for this old thing.
Given to me by an old timer many years ago, and is still deadly accurate, purely if it does go out of tune, it couldn't be any easier to set back up (never had to do it BTW)

wallmic02.jpg

wallmic03.jpg

I am sure a few people on here have the experience to knock one up in no time, all it would take is a bit of fabrication and machining plus an old micrometer head of any reading flavour you require.

Bogs

Back