The Holly Buddy 2,5 cc model diesel engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hallo Model Engine Friends,
In between i have n't done much after he last photo session.I only made some lapping tools in between for the lapping from the cilinderliner and one for the
lapping work at the piston.
I hope that you like the photos from the small tools that i made.

many greetings from modelmotor-Gerard-The Netherlands-Europe.

002.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

zuiger en cilinder laptools 001.jpg

zuiger en cilinder laptools 002.jpg

zuiger en cilinder laptools 003.jpg

Hallo Antonio,
I am very pleased to hear from you and to receive your compliments about my project.
I will make contact again in a while the weather overhere is often terrible hot and not good for me to do much with the engine project at this moment.

many greetings from modelmotor-Gerard-Holland-Europe.

A few latst made photos from my Lap Tools and a couple of the different grinding pastes i like to use for lapping the Liner and Piston to a nice fit.I also finished the Lap Tool made from Brass for lapping the Piston.
I hope that these photos will give you an idea from all the things i use for that job.

Lap Tools 001.jpg

Lap Tools 004.jpg

Lap Tools 005.jpg

Lap Tools 006.jpg

Lap Tools 007.jpg

Lap Tools 009.jpg

Lap Tools 010.jpg

I thank you very much for your project !! I learned from the your pictures , it was very helpful to me.
You do a great job !! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hallo Minh Thanh,
Thank you very much for your sympathic words about my projects.I feel very honored getting such a positive feed back from the other side of the world.

many greetings from modelmotor-The Netherlands-Europe.

Hi Modelmotor!
Yes, I will do, but now I have to refine some tools and machines, as well as do the tools... for the internal combustion engine so I can not do what you say.
** Hope everything is fine, and I will do as you ask!
And one more thing: I'm watching your projects, I love the job you do.
* Thank you very much !!

Now my lapping tools are ready i will lap my CilinderLiner till the fit is Ok and compression must be available as good as possible.
The Piston will be getting a smooth fit into the Liner in the way things can function as ment above.
I hope that you all have enjoyed my Thread and the photos till now.

I just started lapping my cilinderliner for the first time(s).I made a number of photos from this job to show you
how i do the lapping from the cilinderliner.I used a Grinding paste from Chemico it's on a oily base.I used one of the finest pastes from this manufactorer.
I hope that you like my photos from this job as well.

lappen van de cilinder 001.jpg

lappen van de cilinder 002.jpg

lappen van de cilinder 003.jpg

lappen van de cilinder 004.jpg

lappen van de cilinder 005.jpg

lappen van de cilinder 006.jpg

lappen van de cilinder 009.jpg

lappen van de cilinder 011.jpg

Hallo Model Engine Friends
I just finished the lapping from my cilinderliner.I am not such a good photograph that i can show you all the lapping results in the
right way so i dediced to make just a couple of extra photos from that job and no more.
Hopefully you like the lapping results however i must admit that making pictures from such a critical work in my own is rather difficult you will understand.

cilinder lappen 001.jpg

cilinder lappen 003.jpg

cilinder lappen 004.jpg

cilinder lappen 009.jpg

I have made a certain number of pictures telling a bit from the lapping story step by step.
I do it on my way and the past showed me that it can be done as shown on the pictures ,but be very carefull and try the fit very often as well as the size of the part(s).
I hope you like my pictures as well.

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 005.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 006.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 007.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 008.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 009.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 010.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 011.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 012.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 013.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 014.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 015.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 018.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 019.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 021.jpg

zuiger cilinder lapping plus extra engine pictures 022.jpg

Smear with Autosol on piston and grind carefully into the cylinder while you are pushing the piston into cylinder to create tapered cylinder.

To test the fit is correct:
Dry piston/cylinder = Tight to push piston into cylinder.
Oiled piston/cylinder = Loose in BDC and tight in TDC ---> tapered cylinder. :)

Hallo Jens Erik,
Thank you very much for your contribution on my thread about making the best fit for my piston into the liner,
It's very pitty that i have n't made a short movie of my work.It's only showed in the pictures,but pictures can also tell the story.I made my piston/liner fit the same way as you described only not using Autosoll ,but a drop of very thin sewing-machine oil which i clear out/smear around the piston with my finger just one tiny little drop not more.
I take measurements by trying to push the piston into the liner each time a work which is very time consuming,but as you can see Jens i am making some progress with the fit of the piston which must be very tight indeed.
I appreciate your own metal working as well. Thank you very much for your advices in this case.

Hallo Jens Erik,
I made my piston/liner fit the same way as you described only not using Autosoll ,but a drop of very thin sewing-machine oil which i clear out/smear around the piston with my finger just one tiny little drop not more.

You can use tallow instead sewing-machine oil/Autosol as englishmen did with their model engines in old days. :)

Jan David-Andersen (norwegian production of D-A model engine) wrote in the book "Dieselmotor for modell-fly, båt og bil", 1945 ("Diesel engine for model aircraft, boat and car"): In a deep cup, make a mixture of grinding paste and thick oil and let the mixture lay as the coarse grains sink to the bottom of the cup. The top layer of grinding paste is suitable to create fit between cylinder / piston.

modellmotorboka.jpg

Hallo Jens Erik

Thank you for your contribution on my thread about making the Holly Buddy 2.5 cc model diesel engine.The use of tallow oil might be also a good solution however i never used it.There are also people using sour/acid free very thin Gun oil as a way of lubricating during the lapping process.This type of oil can be used by the lapping process in a very low quantity,but that will be the same when using another kind of thin lubricating aditif.
Your book looks very interesting to me.I got several old model engine books from my father who already passed away for 26 years ago now.
The old model engine builders very often do have great ideas about all kinds of making sudden model engine parts and the lapping from critical parts like a piston and a cilinderliner is one of those very interesting jobs to do_One of the books i owned from my father is tittled:"Benzinmotoren für Flugmodelle und ihr Selbstbau". The Editor/Publisher from this model engine book is Mr.A.Felgiebel. I think that you already have heard from this name in model engine circles.
Thanks again for helping me.

many greetings from: modelmotor-Gerard-The Netherlands-Europe.

Hallo Jens Erik
Yes this book is as a souvenir for me i received it from my father died already years ago.The book contains drawings and lot's of technical writtings to make a model engine yourself.I have restored the book it was in a terrible state through the years now it looks in some way Ok to me,but the front cover is still damaged,but after the restore not as much as before.
Dietmar Kolb from www.kleinstmotoren.de is a man i know from some years ago now. I have placed my model engine videos and pictures on his website.So when you are visiting his website place look after videos and pictures under my name.
Many thanks for your sympathic informations.

A Cast Iron contra piston was made which i lapped into the liner for a good fit and seal so no leakage and very good strong compression.Each time you can hear a very strong and loud plop,plop when turning the propellor over.I have assembled the engine after that work and now i will do some refinements outside the motor to look it still much better.
I am real happy with my engine designed and already made by Ed Holly.He made a lot of work from his Holly Buddy 2,5 cc diesel engine thread to show us the right way to built a good model diesel engine at special the Toolings for lapping and Honing and the lot of advices were very welcome to look after each time during the built.

Many greetings from modelmotor-Gerard-TheNetherlands-Europe.

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 001.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 002.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 003.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 006.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 007.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 008.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 009.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 010.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 011.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 012.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 013.jpg

completing liner lapping contra piston final assembling 017.jpg

It's Saturday at around 12 P.M. in the morning.Here are the first photos made from my Holly Buddy 2,5 cc model diesel engine finished.I am very happy with the result and the first plopping sounds the piston makes in the liner.It all feels very good so if this engine will be a slow or fast running engine will be expected as soon as my fuel will be at home for making a real "diesel brew" of it so till that time the best for all of you and enjoy your wonderfull hobby by making all kinds of model engines.

Many greetings from modelmotor-Gerard-The Netherlands-Europe.

Finished Engine!!! 001.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 002.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 003.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 004.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 005.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 006.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 007.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 008.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 009.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 010.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 011.jpg

Finished Engine!!! 012.jpg