The Hawk Flyer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipemakerdev

Reaction score
This is my forth attempt at steam engine building and the first one with a "steam chest". I have built the wobble style in two configurations a single and a four cylinder version. Then onto the valve style using a commercial style valve and pneumatic cylinder. then onto this one that I have built for my Farther for Christmas (He does not know it yet) as he was the one that sparked my interest.
I had down loaded the plans of GerryDykstra as I really like his styling, although not to his dimensions I had used his ideas for trussing and style. I had built each part to fit and look right, after making the flywheel I scaled all the other parts to it. I had built the entire engine from material that I had kicking around the shop. The outer flywheel was constructed of an old bronze bushing that was left over from a machine rebuild. It weighs approximately four pounds and has no problem pulling past the inertia point with ease.all the pivot points are bused with either bronze or brass. The walking beam is approximately eight inches long and is made of solid bronze plate .4375 thick. The valve beam is brass. The whole thing is thirteen inches tall and fourteen inches long. I know that my work does not even hold a candle to some of the work that I have seen here on this forum but I think I have found a hobby that I will enjoy for a long time. i hope that you may have some constructive criticism that I may benefit from. thanks for looking.

img-20131216-232913168.jpg

img-20131216-232932741.jpg

img-20131216-232635496.jpg

img-20131216-232953075.jpg

Latest posts

Back