The ENV aero engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez1

Reaction score
My half scale replica of this early engine is now finished, complete with prop. All appears to be OK. It stays cool and doesn't leak coolant (Evans Waterless). The carb needs some adjustment to get the idling right. The rev counter indicated around 1600rpm at 2/3 throttle which seems about right. The full size engine ran more slowly at 1250. I put a short video together of the first run under load but it is too big to upload here. Instead please follow this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x4xw1jUHwnUMFbEn0TlgGNKtITm03GZQ/view?usp=sharing

Wez1

Nice one Steve.

Wind in your hair and castor oil spots on your teeth

Mike

Now that is beyond cool! Outstanding.

Just add wings and seat and fly.

My half scale replica of this early engine is now finished, complete with prop. All appears to be OK. It stays cool and doesn't leak coolant (Evans Waterless). The carb needs some adjustment to get the idling right. The rev counter indicated around 1600rpm at 2/3 throttle which seems about right. The full size engine ran more slowly at 1250. I put a short video together of the first run under load but it is too big to upload here. Instead please follow this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x4xw1jUHwnUMFbEn0TlgGNKtITm03GZQ/view?usp=sharing

Wez1
Sounds great loving the rope.

Wez1

Lovely sound! I'd be interested in more pictures and any back story (e.g., did you find plans, or ??). Well done!
Yes, sound is everything and a good indicator of engine health etc. This one has now clocked over 5 hours run time and is going really well. Starts first swing and idles smoothly at 1000. Accelerates up to 2100 almost instantly with no coughing. Measured static thrust was 20Kg at 2000rpm.
The ENV was probably one of the best in its day (1910) and should be better known. No original drawings exist so I made my own from 2 surviving engines. Has a one piece crankcase. More on Youtube. Drawings available to anyone wanting a big project. This is almost certainly the only working ENV anywhere.
Thanks to all for your interest and comments.

many thanks! Another thing I forgot to mention in any of the vids is the lack of vibration - it's a well balanced machine.

Latest posts

Back