The color Blue!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard69

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to ask this as it is sort of shop related. But I'm work on turning my cellar into a shop and a place to run trains. As such I'm in the process of painting and I'm trying ti decide which color blue would be good for a sky background. Anybody have some ideas?

It is a relatively small cellar so squeezing in shop equipment and a bit of track need to be worked out. My long term goal is a locomotive build but that is a ways off.

My general rule of thumb for choosing paint is to remember that a wall will tend to look darker than a smaller piece, so go lighter in your choice.

Remember that what you have for lighting will also make a difference.

If you go to a real paint store, not just a store that sells paint, they will probably be able to help you choose and mix your paint, but they may also be able to sell you a small container of a lighter or darker paint that you can mix into your color once you get started if you need to adjust on the fly. (All of this is based on latex paint brushed or rolled on.)

Preparation is everything: Get good advice on cleaning and an appropriate primer for your conditions.

Good luck and we want pictures when you're done.

--ShopShoe

Consider light green for walls and ceiling so that you can add digital images as background. Video of your model trains on a background of some well known landscape might become a new hobby.

Small cameras used on drones are not expensive and with multiple cameras at track level the effect may be dramatic.

Just a thought for your consideration.

DJP never considered green screens. Im not really into video production at least not know. I was looking for a sky blue to eventually paint landscapes on. Im not an artist either.

I will have to give this some thought.
Consider light green for walls and ceiling so that you can add digital images as background. Video of your model trains on a background of some well known landscape might become a new hobby.

Small cameras used on drones are not expensive and with multiple cameras at track level the effect may be dramatic.

Just a thought for your consideration.

My general rule of thumb for choosing paint is to remember that a wall will tend to look darker than a smaller piece, so go lighter in your choice.
Never considered this!
Remember that what you have for lighting will also make a difference.

If you go to a real paint store, not just a store that sells paint, they will probably be able to help you choose and mix your paint, but they may also be able to sell you a small container of a lighter or darker paint that you can mix into your color once you get started if you need to adjust on the fly. (All of this is based on latex paint brushed or rolled on.)

Preparation is everything: Get good advice on cleaning and an appropriate primer for your conditions.
It is mostly new dry wall some of which is primed already.
Good luck and we want pictures when you're done.

--ShopShoe

When im done? This has been a seriously long project that i try to finance between a new roof, bathroom repairs and other must dos. Plus i need to stay out of those hideous medical facilities.

I will be happy to get one end of the cellar fully walled and painted before summer. Then i got to figure out what will be track space and what will be shop bench space.

My first post, Hello everyone
For your model railroad back drop you might look at the color sweet pea by Pittsburgh paints. this was used this for a club layout many years ago and a country away..;)

https://www.ppgpittsburghpaints.com/color/paint-colors/harmony/sweet-pea-105-2

You need to make the horizon the lightest color blue and get darkest at the top. this can be achieved with lighting. that's what it looks like outside but we don't notice it as we see it every day.:)

To maximize your available space you might consider to make your layout at eye level and be able to utilize all the space underneath.. you can operate sitting on bar stools.

Happy modeling
Karel

:fan:
My first post, Hello everyone
For your model railroad back drop you might look at the color sweet pea by Pittsburgh paints. this was used this for a club layout many years ago and a country away..;)

https://www.ppgpittsburghpaints.com/color/paint-colors/harmony/sweet-pea-105-2
A little green.
You need to make the horizon the lightest color blue and get darkest at the top. this can be achieved with lighting. that's what it looks like outside but we don't notice it as we see it every day.:)

To maximize your available space you might consider to make your layout at eye level and be able to utilize all the space underneath.. you can operate sitting on bar stools.

Happy modeling
Karel
Space is actually a bigger consideration than the background color. It is the combination of storage space and works space. The idea is that areas for trackage will be sitting on top of cabinets and shelving. This would not be your normal benchwork but I really need the space. Lots of thinking to be done here but frankly that is getting ahead of the cart as I have lots of work to do to get to cabinet installation.

Latest posts

Back