the beginning of my shop!!! :D

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess this could be an interesting subject the coast guard used to require boaters and still may to cary a hand held flare launcher aka flare gun these were a pistol style launcher that fired a flare into the air.
Tin

Hey Speedy,
Congrats on finally getting your shop together. Hope you find it to be much fun.

The Taig is a nice little lathe. There seems to be more info for mods and accessories than for the Sherline.

Kevin

hi Bluechip
I know that over here for air pistols and rifles if the FPS is over 500 you need to have your paperwork.

Tin Falcon.
that is what I was thinking, over here you still need to carry a flare gun on certain size boats, so the signal cannon would almost be similar BUT I do know that the flare guns and safety equipment on boats needs to be examined and given the okay beforehand. so this type of signal cannon is questionable.

Ksouers
I agree the taig is very nice! I cant wait to start using it.
I decided to wait and set up my lathe properly before I start :) soon it will perform!

Tin Falcon said:
I guess this could be an interesting subject the coast guard used to require boaters and still may to cary a hand held flare launcher aka flare gun these were a pistol style launcher that fired a flare into the air.
Tin

YUP....Offshore you must carry a flare gun....and no there is no restriction on the sale of the flare gun...which I found somewhat humorous.... :big:

No I didn't get one for the boat...but I thought it would be fun on the 4th...,,,, Rof}

I laugh because I can build a potato gun with a PVC and hair spray as a propellant and get a year in jail......but hell I can fire a signal gun anywhere!..... ( Peoples Republic of Massachusetts)

Speedy -

Nice purchase.

I'm sure you're wondering who all these old farts are who are warning you off trying to build a firecracker cannon. We have good reason - virtually all of us will have had, or know someone who has had, an unpleasant incident with pyrotechnics. We got to be old by learning lessons when we were young and less smarter! Have fun and don't poke anyone's eye out. Watch some of the dumba$$es on Youtube to see how it AIN'T done.

Anyhow, are you pursuing machining as a hobby or as a possible career? I only ask because when I was your age I wanted to get into machining but there weren't any avenues for training. It took another two decades, several jobs, one move around the world and a marriage and a half before I was able to pursue it. I turn 40 next week and will probably finish my qualifications in five months or so.

At 18 I ended up going to guitarmaking school - had lots of fun in the repair field for four years but never made much money!

Let me know if you're still struggling with tool sharpening - I can scan you some diagrams from my training materials.

Matt

hi speedy -- kudos on the machine - very good price.

I noticed that the spare jaws for the chuck are in a bag saying "perfume applicator" or sthg like that... :)

what's the deal? does taig do cosmetics????

t

sorry for the late reply, school keeps me busy at the moment.

Thad, this is only as a hobby. I picked up the interest of machining watching model internal combustion engines, like the members here make. I am currently in my second year of university (WOW where does time go?).

local metal supermarket gave me a round of aluminum to try out, much easier to machine.
I have not attempted to try sharpening yet, I purchased taigs tool package to get me going and to see how they are sharpened.

still unsure on how to sharpen.

a nice fellow named Keith has a great write up on a nice grinder and jig to sharpen the taig tools. seen here (take a look)
http://www.mechanicalphilosopher.com/kbsharpening.pdf
I purchased the grinding pad, was exited to make it until I realized I dont have a lathe and its far beyond my skills :'( :big:
turns out Keith lives about a hour away from me! we talk thru email every now and then, great guy.

anyone want to help a young guy out? I thought of taking it to a machine shop by they usually want top $ for something small using their big money machines.

I am however going to make the part that holds on the pad, that I know I can do.

ttrikalin.
I was wondering when someone would spot that!
previous owner gave me it with parts in it. I chuckle at it also.

thanks for all the kind words.
Michael

Hey Speedy,

Grinding tools isn't all that bad....like anything else it takes some education and application of gray cells...but it's not rocket science.

Get your self a small piece of aluminum bar about 5/16" diameter and get the lathe set up somewhere....we can talk you through it.

Somewhere in the vastness of cyber world on this forum is a post I started called Resources for the Beginner. In it is a chart on how to grind High Speed Steel ( HSS ) tools......take a gander and turn the tube off and send the significant other somewhere else.....
;D
We'll talk...

PS if the post got dumped let me know....I'll post it again.

Dave

Latest posts

Back