The beginners tool box

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each hammer has a purpose but I find I use the plastic head the most, followed by the home made brass head with knurled aluminum handle, the ball peen, and rubber mallet. The plastic and brass were both purchased at a local used tool shop called the Tool Shed for $5.00 each. I've got most of my Starrett micrometers there along with a bunch of other machinists tools.
Ditto all those hammers, but I use a dead blow hammer quite a lot --you might consider adding one to your group, they are pretty useful. Zero.

Ditto all those hammers, but I use a dead blow hammer quite a lot --you might consider adding one to your group, they are pretty useful. Zero.

I've been looking at them but can't decide on a weight. I know, get em all!

I use a dead blow hammer quite a lot --you might consider adding one to your group, they are pretty useful. Zero.

Agreed . fantastic for seating parts in a mill vice and good for indicating parts.

I've been looking at them but can't decide on a weight. I know, get em all!
I would suggest you choose based on the size of your machines and some extent parts.

IIRC a 2lb dead blow is about right to seat parts in a 6" Kurt vise and a Bridgeport.
A 1 lb for an x2 mill . I worked in a machine shop large machines
IIRC one of the lathes was a 36" swing by 10 foot center to center.
We turned 24" compressor impellers we used a about a 10 lb dead blow with a 36" handle . We used this hammer to indicate the impellers.

Tin

Here is my first machinist tool box
My father and my self made in 1969 from scrape lumber has work great and still working today

Dave

Tool box 2.jpg

Tool box.jpg

Hi Dave,

That will be many happy hours of using the Tool Chest and tools etc easily to find.
Here's mine done with custom cut to size plywood.Carpentry nowadays is made easy with cordless tools and modern glue and Lacquer. I have no choice but to use M.I.C. aka Made In China for Tool Chest. Still trying hard to locate Japanese plywood which is very high quality and pricy. The drawer knobs are DIY Custom made .
Now on holiday in JAPAN.

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

we have a show us you shop thread and a show us your lathe thread do we need to start a "Show us your tool chest" thread?
Tin

we have a show us you shop thread and a show us your lathe thread do we need to start a "Show us your tool chest" thread?
Tin

I think that would be a good idea, I for one would be very interested :)

I also think that would be a good idea. Especially in small shops and how others fit everything in.

will post a picture of my my craped 8x6 shed tomorrow has a small lathe & mill in there and my tig welder.
to be made bigger next year as got to get a motorbike jig in there.

Hmmmmmm...beginners tools..
How about this place? HMEM. A great beginners tool.
Years upon years of experience here, friendly folks
To answer ANY questions you may have, advice, best practices,
Tips, tricks, free build plans...

Oh yeah, drill & tap charts, in inch & metric.

John

What? No picture?

Latest posts

Back