Telescope

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Julian,

I've built a number of telescopes over the past 10 years. Have a look at my web site:

http://www.cfellows.com

What questions do you have?

Me too, though it has been a few years. Probably several of us here are interested in having a chat.

I got my first exposure to machine tools when I had a piece of shaft turned for a pillow block German equatorial mounting I made for a 4" reflector. I was in 3rd grade. My eyes got big when the machinist cranked up his lathe, turned on the coolant, and it turned my dull shaft into a shiny machined object. He did the job for free considering I was kid. The guy's name was "Charlie Brown" of all things.

Best,

BW

After looking at the telescopes on you site Chuck... I definitely want to build one!

just bought my son a telescope for Christmas. I hope he enjoys it

Eric

I did not want to bore anyone with details of something that was of limited interest but it looks like more interest that I thought.
Here is the answer I gave Tin,

"It has a simple wood and pipe mount that allows it to tilt and rotate now. I have a Meade ETX that I prefer. I built this one, mirror and all about 15 years ago. I had the mirror recoated a while back when my grand son discovered it and wanted to use it. Now I have another grandkid that wants to resurect it. I don't want to spend the money to motorize it. The plywood parts have rotted and I guess I could just rebuild it. I will check out the link you sent and see which way to go.
Thanks for the info.
Julian"

I will post a pic of it tomorrow, after seeing Chuck's outstanding creations I think I will go burn it!!!

Back