Team CAD build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snip

What would the article in the magazine be about? Collaboration? Or just a set of plans created from the software?

John
The intent would be to have someone build the engine from the resulting drawings as a way to proof the drawing set. Then if they will also take pictures of the process and are willing to describe the process to me on a recording or in print, then I could publish a Build Article for my readers.

I would have no objection to publishing the drawings on this forum as well. The license restrictions for both the magazine and the forum would be for no commercial use of the drawings for offering copies, parts or complete engines without the approval of MEB (MEB being the only legal entity that could enforce the copyright I think).

I talked with David Sohlstrom about how to best go about delivering the 2D drawings of the Model A to the contributing group. These drawings are in 1/3 scale on C- & D-sized paper.
What I will do in the next week or so is shoot the pages with a good digital camera. Then I'll post them to a private group on Google or Yahoo to which those contributing will have access. (I think this will work OK assuming I don't exceed the group file limits.)
Then it will be up to the group to 'get'er done' as OnShape delivers more tools.

I had a major computer crash a few weeks ago and have been looking in all the nooks and crannies for missing files.
A friend, Roger Butzen, built a Ford Flathead V-8 about 15 years ago but lost his CAD files in a computer crash. He had sent them to me but I lost track of them.
Well, I just found them. They are mainly 2D DWG & DXF files with one Alibre file on the block (just the shape, not with bores and bolt holes).
I have his permission to share the files so there is another option for an engine. In terms of popularity (and the potential that someone would build one), the V-8 is more popular but, of course, more difficult to build.
Just say'n.

My view of this effort as as a teaching exercise for those w/o 3d modeling experience or the ability to afford software. Building an engine afterwards might be nice but for me irrelevant. Since the product at present doesn't support drawings as output generating plans isn't possible, an besides any engine we model will already have plans as a starting point.

That's why I suggested the MEM Corliss. Good plans available and several have been built.

I would treat this as a team build, with all needed parts being listed, and people taking them on via signup.

I started a private document myself with the cylinder block as the test part. Found that sketch patterns were not yet implemented, so that bolt patterns would be tedious, so stopped there.

Back