Team CAD build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonGinger

Reaction score
There has been some mention here of the new CAD software that is web based and full 3D parametric. One of the major features they tout is its ability to share design work. Supposedly multiple people can work on a design and all see the results.

How about we test this by team building some engine. We could use a design that is public, maybe one of Brian Rupnows, where good 2D drawings are available. We could split up the work and each guy just do one or two parts.

Have a look at http://Onshape.com to get your free account. A free account lets you hold 5 personal documents and share an unlimited number of public docs.

There has been some mention here of the new CAD software that is web based and full 3D parametric. One of the major features they tout is its ability to share design work. Supposedly multiple people can work on a design and all see the results.

How about we test this by team building some engine. We could use a design that is public, maybe one of Brian Rupnows, where good 2D drawings are available. We could split up the work and each guy just do one or two parts.

Have a look at http://Onshape.com to get your free account. A free account lets you hold 5 personal documents and share an unlimited number of public docs.

Onshape, It works fine but I realy like using Makercam, free and spits out your Gcode in a fraction of a second

How about the MEM Corliss as the target?

I've been playing a bit with OS, so I'll participate if this gets off the ground. Other than the learning curve for 3D modeling itself, most of the kind of parts most people kake manually are quite easy to do.

I've been trying to model the McOnie engine in SW as a learning exercise since it's reasonably complex. Since the cylinder and support beams are castings they are the most challenging.

Makercam seems to be a 2D cam program that reads svg files. Thats interesting, but has nothing to do with Onshape- thats a 3D solid modeling program.

I like the idea of the MEM corliss, thats been on my list for a while.

but has nothing to do with Onshape- thats a 3D solid modeling program.

I like the idea of the MEM corliss, thats been on my list for a while.

I know I was just sugesting another free program out there that works awsome

cheers
Luc

It will be interesting to see how well this really works. I'm most curious about how well it propogates changes, especially in the assemblies. Such as, if 5 users have an assembly open for review, & I make a change to a part, will the assembly update in "real time" for everyone? What if I screw up my part so bad that I have to recreate it & reassemble it & there were other peoples parts assembled to my bad one? Will it crash because it lost its assembly references & have to have the additional parts reassembled? I've worked with PDM software (PTC "Windchill") across a company network where different designers worked on an assembly & those were just some of the issues I came across. (& that was with just me opening it, nobody else had it open.)

But...maybe this is that much different & these are non-issues. I'll do a little more reading up on it.

From your experiences, whats the learning curve like? (Part modeling, assembly creation, & drawings? I've been using Pro-Engineer for years & am quite comfortable with that. Can someone maybe share some examples they've done?

John

The simplest example operations are extrude boss and extrude cut. In both of these you first create a sketch on a plane using various line drawing tools (straight line, circle, rectangle, trim, extend, etc.). When the sketch is complete you define the parameters of the extrude. For a boss extrude the main parameter is the distance. For a cut extrude you can specify a distance or just cut through all. The result is a part, to which other ops can be applied (e.g., chamfer, fillet).

If you get an OS userID you can access many shared OS documents, make private copies, and see how the parts were generated as well as make mods yourself.

This is kind of an interesting concept. Not just for collaborative CAD design but software usage itself. If I understand correctly, you must be internet connected in order to use it (either for your own personal parts or shared design). There is no 'installed program' on your PC/device. I guess that's why it supports all the platforms, Mac, Win...

Some FAQ's here.
https://www.onshape.com/faqs

ps - they make loose reference to CAM files, not sure if that's like the typical CAD 'save-as', or confined to importing only.
Q: Does Onshape work with CAM, FEA, rendering, etc?
A: Yes

I wonder how this implementation will translate in terms of screen refresh rate & data transfer while designing parts & multi-part assemblies etc. I'm no expert in these matters, but my understanding of newer cloud based apps like Adobe is its basically a glorified licencing / support initiative. The software & user files are still resident on your pc & that's primarily because of speed (& maybe a dash of file security). For example, make a teeny change to a photoshop image image requires complete calc/reload/refresh/save cycle. Not an issue on your fast PC, but one would think this same workflow would start gobbling internet data & physical time pretty quick with any degree of part complexity? I'll be watching with interest how you guys make out, sounds like a worthwhile exercise to test drive.

The only software needed on the user side is a web browser with webgl enabled. IE apparently doesn't work. Chrome seems to be the recommended client. The apparent speed is more a function of the video card than the processor according to OS.

The only software needed on the user side is a web browser with webgl enabled. IE apparently doesn't work. Chrome seems to be the recommended client. The apparent speed is more a function of the video card than the processor according to OS.

Kvom
I'm using the program with IE11
works fine

Luc

Thanks for the link Ron, it looks like an interesting program. I have signed up and will have a play with it.
One downside I see to my adopting it is that I can't import my current Geomagic files so I need to retain Geomagic in addition to anything else I use.

As an exercise in collaboration, it could be interesting. I assume you would want to work in imperial measurement so I would not be interested in actually building anything since I only use metric.

I will subscribe to the thread and see where it goes. If I think I can contribute, I will let you know.

Jim

AussieJimG

You can use you Alibre/Geomagic files if you export them as Iges files and then upload them to Onshape. I have done is several times as I test the program.

All we need for this to work is for one person to start a new document or as I prefer to call them a new project. Then those that would like to join in just need to provide to that person there Email address and the person that started the new project just shares with the other folks.
To keep things straight we would build a project tree and folks can take on the parts they want to.
These separate parts can then be merged back into MAIN.
I have shared one of my projects with a couple of folks that have edit and share privileges.

Dave

Just for fun I went to my Onshape and created a new document/project.
Project is HMEM Team CAD build

Anyone that would like to join me please PM me your Email address and I will add you to the project.

Dave

Hi Ron,

I like your idea, very interested in your idea. Count me in.

Regards, Andrew Smith

Looks like Dave has started a shared project, lets all jump on it. Just need to decide what engine we want to do. I don't think we are doing this to get the engine design- but to learn how the process works.

Should we pick one design, then allocate its parts as people join the project? Each of us could do our part and we could all see the whole.

As of 0719 PDT we now have 3 on the team build including myself. Lets load this up and see if we can break it for the developers :D

Dave

Now we need a good way to talk while we are working on designs. I use Skype with some of my model engineer friends that works well.

My skype name is dave.sohlstrom if others would like to add me as a contact.

Dave

Thanks for adding me in. I have the project open and walked away to see it was changed from a cylinder to a few blocks and features when i returned so the parts do update in some form of real time.

I guess we need a project! If the project is drawing a know design, the individual parts should probably be listed in a spreadsheet and someone should manager who is assigned to a part for that creation. Then possibly sub assemblies also with owners?

Just thinking out loud.

Jared
You are welcome to add parts to this project. I'm playing with a basic block now. go for it

Dave

Ps where are you located.

Latest posts

Back