Team Build 8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Technically, I could mail my parts out now, but I am going to beg for more time. The "Grounding Link Mounting Blocks" are not fit for the likes of you all. They look more like they belong in a Picasso.

I'm going to have another go at them. They should be ready in a few days.

All your parts are in here if you want to see 'em :)

IMG_1993_zps8fd52cee.jpg

Might be my inexperience, but they look great to me!
I will abide by your decision, but your parts make mine look like crap!
Chuck

Take all the time you need for my parts - I'm sorta in the same boat. My skills with steel are still in development lets say and I've been struggling with the eccentric strap parts - trying to get a proper finish. I did have a good shop session tonight and am much closer to being done now. A few more nights like tonight and I'll be there...

Mike

Way to go guys ... we are getting closer.
Good to hear your progress. Lots of parts are in mail or will be shortly.:)

Thanks,

Pat H.

Man everyone is doing great. For me Take the time you need there is no reason to rush I am in no hurry.

DAve

Dale,

Nice looking parts ...Thm::bow:

Looking forward to getting them ... you should get mine mid next week. :cool:

Pat H.

Got Pat's parts today! WooHoo!Thm: I'm making a list of fastener lengths as I get the parts and fit my 3/4" screws to them. Do you guy's want me to enter them into a spreadsheet so it can be added to the drawing package? Rather I will enter them into a spread sheet, and if you want it added to the drawing package I'll make it available.

Chuck

I got home from a very bad day and found parts on my door step. It made my day much better. The side plates and plaque look great.

Dave

Chris,

Glad all is well.

Need to know what to put on the Name Plate for the auction unit.
Each builder has his own plate ... "HMEM , Team Build 8 2012, and then name". What do think should be imprinted for the name?

Anyone else have any ideas?

Team:

Just mailed the side panels and name plates to you guys (except chris's which is done except for auction unit).

Later,

Pat H.

I think that for the auction unit if you could put built by (then the team members)
or something along that line.
What do you guys think?

alos here is a few pics of what has been takin my time lately.I cannot take credit for all of it as there is many fello employes that have worked hard.

chris

IMG_0720[1].jpg

IMG_0850[1].jpg

IMG_1019[1].jpg

I got them also and they look great. I am having adding parts on as they are coming in.

Dave

Cutting tiny machine screws to length

I am assembling the Team 8 beam engine on which all fasteners are 2-56. I purchased 100 2-56 x 3/4”, stainless steel hex head screws for this model.

I have made a couple jigs from 1/2” mild steel hex to accomplish this on my lathe. One jig is 1/4” and one is 1/2”. I drilled and tapped each jig for the 2-56 screws, and have cut several to the size required for various components. I am having trouble with the current process. I have to really tighten the screws in the jig or they catch on the parting tool and begin to unscrew themselves back out of the jig.

How do you cut longer screws to length? Do you have a better way to do this without buggering the threads?

BTW, I made a nut driver type tool from a socket head cap screw, a piece of brass tubing and a home made wood handle for these screws that seems to do the job, although the brass hex nuts I have are bigger than the hex screw heads.

Chuck

Last edited:
When cutting small screws I tighten them into a tapped hole in a piece of metal the same thickness as the screw length I need. I cut them with a hacksaw and then file them flush to the piece of metal to clean up the end.

Dale:

I received your parts today. :) They came out very nice indeed!

Not too much more to go and we'll all be building!

Cheers, Joe

Latest posts

Back