TB3 - Roll Call

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot about the springs. We'll have to make them also. Anyone want to play with those?

We are still missing page ten. David sent me a link with the plans and it is gone off his page also. I Emailed him and let him know about it.

Wes

i will have the springs on the valves when i'm done............unless someone really wants to make the springs ........just let me know ;D

chuck

I attempted to solder a 3/16 carbide endmill to a piece of brass shim stock(.020" thick). It worked very well. I can't solder for $#!^ ,yet. So I'm sure soldering won't be a problem.
Tim

Ok, David fixed my link and I sent it to all the team players:eek:) There is a cam, regulator bobbin, and regulator arm left. Any takers?

Wes

Hi
i take the regulator arm pivot

Jacques

Wes, I'll do the Bobbins. I didn't see a call out for material type for them though.Needs to be a good bearing surface inside and out. How about cast iron or brass?
Dick

I was just checking to see if Te_gui got my PM about the Flywheels? I haven't heard back yet.

Wes

Hey Wes,

I had thought I replied but it may have gone poof, I dunno. We are trying to decide on flywheel material. I have lots of steel available, maybe some brass/bronze but probably not enough to do all of them. If I do steel I am looking into a friend who does nickel plating to see if that might be a feasible option. Enough brass from McMaster Carr will be about 650 so that's a little steep. I think aluminum might be a little light for a hit and miss, they need the mass to carry them thru. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Brian

I ordered the brass for my parts, and I should have it next week.

I also showed the plan to my shop teacher, and he pointed out a minor "problem" with the push rod. The diameter of the rod (.125") is less than the major diameter of 6-32 threads (.138"). Therefore a 6-32 die will cut incomplete threads on the rod.

OTOH the major diameter for 5-40 threads is .125", so I'm wondering if all of the holes/threads for the pushrod/nut/follower should be 5-40.

Ideas from the group?

I may have found the answer to my own question. Seems most tap&die sets with 4-40 have 6-32 as the next larger size.

Is it too late to become involved? I would really like to be part of a team build sometime soon. Did I see that the cam is not allocated? I don't know how complicated it would be but am willing to learn..........

Metal Mickey said:
Is it too late to become involved? I would really like to be part of a team build sometime soon. Did I see that the cam is not allocated? I don't know how complicated it would be but am willing to learn..........

Mickey,

You want to take the cam? how about the arm too? If you want, we can add you. Let me know.

Eric

GULP! I just hope I can live up to the task but I will certainly give it a go! Can you email me the plan for the part? I will make a final commitment when I see if I am up to it, but I am certainly willing!

Also can you private email me with the numbers and how it all works (the team build process)?

Mike

Thanks for the plans, I will have a go at the cams if you like. Can I leave the arms for the moment, I want to be sure to complete what I start. If I get on well and no one else is doing them at that time perhaps we can revisit it then?

Mike

kvom said:
By adding Mickey everyone needs to increase the number of their parts by 1. ;D Luckily I made extras of mine!

Nah, he can be the recipient of the 'show' engine.

Eric

so just how many engines are we going to build ???
I'm hoping to have the cylinder heads (valves,guides,keepers etc ) finished in the next two weeks so let me know and if need be i will set up and make some more. ;D
i have been making enough parts for 15 engines

chuck

Back