TB3 - Ignition system

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking we need to start figuring out a ignition system for our engine. I have an article on using a buzz coil from a model T Ford. I've been looking and Good ones go on Ebay for about $40 -50. I'm thinking Daves Buzz Coil would be a better option for us. You can purchase the kit and a coil for about $70. This way they would all be the same.

What do you guys think?

Wes

Wes
I think I have an ignition system for you that works as well as a Ford coil, and can be built around an old lawn mower magneto coil, for almost nothing. I have put several together for my engines. You can run them on flashlight batteries. Whats more they will run a huge engine as well as a miniature.

IMG_3442.jpg

The box on this one measures 2"x2"x3 1/2".
A number of years ago I sent a write up with illustrated instructions to Gas Engine magazine. It is six pages, and I just tried to scan them so that I could post them here, but I'm afraid the type is too small to read, so I'll send you a copy in the mail and perhaps you can figure how to do it.
Birk

I like Birks idea. I think that one is a go. If you have difficulties Wes... I can rewrite them into a PDF.

Eric

birks idea looks good to me 8) .............the electronic one that jerry howell and others sell are heat and polarity sensitive. birks looks to be a simple and forgiving ignition................and cheap ;D

chuck

Eric, Their in your Email box:eek:) There were 6 pages total.

Wes

I can read them just fine. Missing #2 though... Wes could you resend??

Thanks
Eric

I'd like a look at 'em as well, if it's no trouble. Thanks

Is there any to explain how to convert the lawnmower magnetos? I have 2 and I need a sparker to light a flame.

Were going to put this info up here for people to use. It should work fine for a lawnmower.

Wes

May I just make a note about a book here, for those who want to go a bit further in the ignition methods for model engines.

It is called 'Ignition coils and magnetos in miniature' by the late Bob Shores.

It shows how to make your own coils and magnetos, it even has drawings to make your own coil winder. A book well worth having in your collection if you are going down the ic engine route.

Margaret, his widow is carrying on selling the book, plans and castings for most of his engines.

http://www.bobshores.com/info.html

I purchased my book in the UK from Camden Miniature Steam Services, but don't know if they still stock it. Well worth a look around the site anyway.

http://www.camdenmin.co.uk/

John

chuck foster said:
birks idea looks good to me 8) .............the electronic one that jerry howell and others sell are heat and polarity sensitive. birks looks to be a simple and forgiving ignition................and cheap ;D

chuck
Hello
Is this an ignition system that I can use on my Webster 4 cycle project :)?

Crankshafter, It should work for almost any engine. Big or small:eek:) We'll get the plans posted soon.

Wes

Powder keg said:
Crankshafter, It should work for almost any engine. Big or small:eek:) We'll get the plans posted soon.

Wes
Is there any progress on the ignitionsystem :)
CS

Eric is going to make a pdf and post it here. Maybe I'll have to have my people have a chat with his people LOL
knuppel2.gif
knuppel2.gif

Wes

Brass_Machine said:
Ok Ok. Point taken and PDF uploaded. :big:

Eric
Tank you Eric. :bow:
I'm in the wireing prosess allready :big: hope I can put life in to some metal to nigth :big:
CS

Brass_Machine said:
Ok Ok. Point taken and PDF uploaded. :big:

Eric

How can I view the ignition system pdf.

thank you,
Ray Monahan

ElGringo said:
How can I view the ignition system pdf.

thank you,
Ray Monahan

Ray.
Go to the download section, you will find the plans there :)
CS

Latest posts

Back