TB2 - Modifications to the build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brass_Machine said:
Base - Will be made thicker and larger footprint to allow for use of cap head screws and some detail work.

Bearings - a threaded 6-32 hole to allow the use of oil cups

Cylinder - longer shaft to allow mounting of the flywheel on the outside. (extra length TBD)

Extra spacer - Machined to the width of the flywheel to allow flywheel to be moved to the outside of small bearing.

Cam Ring - Machined to allow lettering at the top. Color still undecided

Forks - Wes's idea of a set screw

So these are the modifications to date. I have left out the oillite bearing on the small end. Look them over. I want to firm these up and get started on our build.

Eric

Looks good to me. What is the thinking on a target due date? 3 months like the last one?

This is really a unique looking engine. I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers,

BW

Can anyone confirm if the hole pattern in the base is gonna change as a result of moving the flywheel? I see talk of a spacer, but if it simplifies things I can move holes. I haven't studied the plans to completely understand what the other changes might entail. I am OK with a 3 month build time, I am hoping to avoid my normal procrastinative tendencies and knock them out earlier so I have time to do the bling polish.

Brian

Looks good to me. I'm up for a three month build as well. Te_gui/Brian: Once you've finalized the size/layout of the bases, would you post or PM me the details so I can plan the wooden sub-bases?

Joe

te_gui said:
Can anyone confirm if the hole pattern in the base is gonna change as a result of moving the flywheel? I see talk of a spacer, but if it simplifies things I can move holes. I haven't studied the plans to completely understand what the other changes might entail. I am OK with a 3 month build time, I am hoping to avoid my normal procrastinative tendencies and knock them out earlier so I have time to do the bling polish.

Brian

Hole pattern stays the same.

Eric

Dick L. said:
Is it safe to do the bearings now? From what I see they will be as drawn with the addition of the 6-32 threaded hole for oil cups.
Dick

Yes sir

Do we have dimensions for the shaft mod yet? The plans call for a 3/8 inch flywheel. I'm thinking just add that.

Someone also mentioned putting a hub on the flywheel to avoid cross-drilling the circumference.

Materials arrived last week so I'm itching to at least build a prototype.

ksouers said:
Do we have dimensions for the shaft mod yet? The plans call for a 3/8 inch flywheel. I'm thinking just add that.

Someone also mentioned putting a hub on the flywheel to avoid cross-drilling the circumference.

Materials arrived last week so I'm itching to at least build a prototype.

I think 1/2" extension would be better. The material that was donated for the flywheels really wont allow the hub.

To give us about 3 months of build time, we should be shipping these parts in the last half of October.

I need everyone to PM their address so I can set up a distribution schedule. For our members who are out of the US, they will only have to ship to 1 address and in return, they will receive all their parts in one box.

Eric

Thanks Eric.

Shaft will be made +.500 longer for an overall length of 2.531

Forgot to mention the recess is only 1/32" on the plans. If we increase that recess it will be easier to put in on an angle and break out on center.
just a thought,
Dick
I think deeper recess would look better too.

I showed the flywheel blanks to my shop instructor for advice on the best ways to machine them. He too suggested an angled hole for a set screw.

I faced all of the flywheel blanks yesterday. The thickness of the 8 blanks runs from .450 to .521". If the shaft extends .5" beyond the bearing, does it make sense to narrow all of the flywheels to .375, or can we leave them wider? On my other thread Powder Keg stated that some might want the flywheel inside, in which case they would need to be .375.

Personally I would prefer a heavier flywheel and a slower running engine. I think I will keep mine wider and outside, but can do whatever everyone else wants. With a wider wheel the indentations can be deeper than 1/32", which I think might look better.

Kirk,
If you don't mind, I'll take a wider flywheel. Not that I know you'll be making my flywheel.

One possibility is make them all wide and let the final owner thin it down if they want it inside.

Hmm, just a thought... if someone wants the flywheel inside will there be any interference with an angled grub screw?

Eric is doing the other 8, so until he knows the thickness of his blanks we won't know how thick all can be. In the meantime I won't cut any more off, and will just drill/ream the center holes when I get machine time at school.

Back