TB2 - Heads

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
Well it looks like I picked another part that there are bunches of to make:eek:) It looks like 32 of the little suckers:eek:) I've been trying to plan my attack on these while I wait for my material. I'm using 360 yellow brass for these. The way it's looking I think I'll.......

1. Cut them to length, plus some, on my band saw.
2. Chuck them up in my small lathe with a square collet and face and turn the 1/4" nub sticking out one end.
3. Flip them around and machine the 1/32" nub on the other end.
4. Lug them to work and drill the 160 holes on the CNC mill:eek:) (already cleared it with the boss ;D ;D ;D )

I thought of doing more of the operation on the CNC but these will be just as fast on my lathe, I think? But the drilling will be way faster and more accurate on the CNC.

More to follow....

Wes

How do you guy's think Stainless steel would look for the heads on this little guy?

Wes

Wes,
Stainless would look fine, but I think there might be a wear problem of the stainless against the brass piston rod. It would probably be OK for as much as these engines will be run, but there would have to be a very fine finish on the stainless part so I would not act as a file on the brass rod. Remember the rotation is created by the side load on the rod created by the roller against the cam. And maybe I worry too much.
Gail

I'm going to go with the brass. I ordered it and some other pieces tonight. I'm excited about this build. I think it will be a fun engine. Fun parts to:eek:)

Later, Wes

Figured since my metal arrived I better get started. Tonight I cut the heads to a tad over 5/16" This should give me plenty to work with. I'll have to file the saw burrs off at least one end so they will start into the square collet on my lathe easily.
CIMG0610.jpg

There are more brass engine heads here than you can shake a stick at.

Wes

Powder keg said:
There are more brass engine heads here than you can shake a stick at.

Wes

Sho nuff!

Out of curious, how many "extras" do you cut in case of, um, emergencies? I'm not talking about how many extra con rods or flywheels I had. <mumble, mumble>

Cheers,

BW

Extras, Wee Doon't Neeed Nooo Stiinking Extras ;O)

Wes,
Now that I see how small the cylinders are going to be, those heads have to be microscopic!

It's not the size that matters its the....

Nevermind:eek:)

Yes they are small, Also there is a lot of drilling. But they should turn out good.

Wes

Back