TB1 - Pillars

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
Here I'll Document the pillars that I'm building for the team build.

I'm making the pillars a little fancier than the prints show. The centers will be concaved a bit and have a ring turned in the middle. To do this I need to make a couple tools. The first will be a form tool to cut the shape. I started with a piece of 3/4" square tool steel. On the CNC I drilled a .055" hole and milled a convex shape on the end. Here is what I ended up with. You cant see it, but, the hole was drilled at a 4 degree angle and the end has this same angle on it also. This is for clearance.
CIMG0214.jpg

Tomorrow I'll heat treat the end and grind the relief n the top of it. I just noticed that I took the picture from the bottom. I'll add a couple more pictures so what I've done is more clear. I hope I didn't babble to much? I'm in a hurry, but I wanted to post something tonight.

Wes

How do you guys shorten these small screws? I'm thinking I have some electrical pliers that have that feature? would that work good enough? or is there a secret weapon:eek:) I'm thinking of making a fat washer to space the screws out with when I screw them into the pliers. That way they will all be the same length.

Wes

when it comes to small screws 4- 40 and the like I generally get the long ones 1"" or 3/4" by the box of 100 then cut to needed length with a good pair of electrical crimping stripping pliers with the built in screw cutters. the brass cuts easily s/s a little more force required.
Me thinks you found the secwet weapon SHHHHH twade secwet,and the spacer TOP SECWET!! be vewwy vewwy quiet. we do not want this to get out. LOL
Tin

Those screws showed up today. Finally. I'll start cutting them to length and they should be in the mail Monday:eek:)

Wes

Thanks, I included some bronze lock washers and a stainless washer to go under it and protect the plate that the cylinder mounts to. Wish I had ordered those screws sooner
uglystupid2.gif

Wes

Latest posts

Back