TB 3 Regulators

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe d

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm doing the regulators and points for this one, so I've started with the regulator yokes as they are the most complex part I have to do in terms of number of operations required....
Blanks cut, faced, turned to size, bored, and counterbored
100_2082.jpg

all the "straight" milling done
100_2085.jpg

16 of the beggars... got about an hour and a half in each one so far
100_2086.jpg

Now, it's on to the rotary table.....

Cheers, Joe

Progress....

Milling away excess material on the rotary table:
100_2102.jpg

milling done, drill and tap hole for retaining set screw (with my shiny new sensitive tapping device, thanks Marv and others who have posted such things.....)
100_2105.jpg

Parted off, ears rounded, just got to clean up the machining marks and shine it up a bit: only 15 more to go!
100_2108.jpg

Stay tuned, more to come...

Cheers, Joe

Progress....

100_2109.jpg

sanded, sanded, sanded, and polished. 14 more to go....

Joe

Hi all

More progress to report....

cut out a bunch of brass blanks for the regulator arms,some drilling, milling, and one tapped hole each
100_2130.jpg

cut away the excess material
100_2131.jpg

Using a fixture on the rotary table to round over the ends
100_2134.jpg

All done....
100_2136.jpg

Installed in the yokes
100_2137.jpg

Stay tuned, more to come.....

Cheers, Joe

I love progress pics!
you did all this on a Taig?
very nice work!

I wish I had the machines and skills so I could participate in a team build with an IC engine.
IC's are soo interesting to get a little thing to come to life like the real thing!

but even if you dont have machines, pictures like the ones you posted give you an exited feeling :D

Speedy

Thanks for the compliment. As to participating, yes you need the machines, but once you get over that hurdle the skills will come... 3 years ago my metal working tools were a BFH, some files, and a hacksaw with a dull blade......

I'm very happy with the Taig equipment, it's done everything I've asked of it so far. Not to say that it wouldn't be nice to be able to turn that 12" dia flywheel, but I don't really need to do that very often so far :big:

Cheers. joe

Beautiful parts Joe! :bow:

As for the "BFH", mine is a 20 pounder. It's great for
instant gratification when things don't quite go to plan.
Rof}

Rick

Excellent craftsmanship achieving superb parts!!! Thm: Bravo Zulu.

Andy

Dang near done....

Been working on the weights for the regulators. Turned and counterbored a fixture for the lathe:
100_2140.jpg

I precut all the blanks, and drilled the mounting holes, attached the blank to the fixture, centredrilled, removed the capscrews and held the blank with a centre for facing:
100_2141.jpg

After turning to OD, drilled and bored for ID:
100_2144.jpg

Once they were all done, drilled them all for the pins for the springs, then I milled a flat on my fixture to hold it in the vice on the milling machine to separate them into two pieces
100_2146.jpg

And here we are with some of the pins installed:
100_2150.jpg

I neglected to measure the the brass rod I used for the pins against the size of the drill I used for their holes.... so all the pins are being sweated into place as they are a little too loose for just loctite. Oh well, I guess I need the practice soldering.... and next time I'll remember to check! Once these are all done and polished, it's on to the springs, which will be another first for me.

Cheers, Joe

Nice job, they look superb! and the finish work is outstanding!

I can see them spinning and flinging now.

Great work Joe . looks like you put some hours in there :bow: :bow: :bow:
Rob

Thanks Rob. Yeah, theres an hour or two in this project so far...

Started winding springs. I've got a Taig lathe with the factory 5-step pulley belt drive. This give me a minimum speed of 500 rpm, way too fast for spring winding (or so it seems to me, as I've never previously done this) so, broke out the old hand drill... made a mandrel with a .02" hole in it to trap the start of the winding, pinched the music wire with some sacrificial brass strips in the vice jaws, and rested the mandrel in a groove in a bit of scrap aluminum on top of the jaws and started winding. Danged if it didn't work!

Starting winding:
100_2151.jpg

Halfway:
100_2152.jpg

Done:
100_2153.jpg

Bunch of them done, just got to trim to length and form the eyes:
th_100_2154.jpg

Conveniently, SWMBO is leaving for a trip to Michigan with her Mom in the morning... so I can heat-soak the springs in the kitchen oven with-out getting caught :big:

Cheers, Joe

Latest posts

Back