tb 3 ic engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck foster

Reaction score
i got to working on the valves tonight, i have set up to make 30 of them. so far i have 10 of the valve heads cut to size and shape only 20 more to go :eek:

i also got the drill rod to make the stems, hope to have them all done by the week end.

chuck

Damn! I haven't even ordered the material for my bits Chuck;o) I hope you are taking pictures?

Wes

well the 30 heads for the valves are now done..........what a neat little part to do.
the first pic shows the valve seat being cut with a lathe tool ground to (roughly) 45 degres.

IMG_1665.jpg

center drilling for the valve stem hole

IMG_1666.jpg

drilling for the valve stem hole

IMG_1667.jpg

reaming valve stem hole to 3/32"

IMG_1668.jpg

parting off

IMG_1669.jpg

cutting groove in valve stem for the valve spring retainer clip. note the groove is .020" wide

IMG_1670.jpg

this next pic shows a valve almost completed ......it just has to have the valve stem silver soldered to the head.

IMG_1679.jpg

the last pic shows what 30 valve heads look like..............not much to show for 1 1/2 hours worth of work :eek:

IMG_1630.jpg

the valve heads are made out of cold rolled steel and the stems are made out of drill rod, they should be all done by the week end and then it is on to the valve keepers and then the cylinder heads.

i have built several engines over the years but never one from bar stock or a team build, so far i'm really stoked about this whole project ;D i can't wait to see all the other bits and pieces for this project!!!!

chuck

hav'in waaayyy too much fun :big: :big:

Don't sneeze Chuck, or you'll be turning 5 more of those ;D ;D ;D

Wes

Two newb questions:

a) Why couldn't the head and stem be one part?

b) Did you use the chuck for the stem because you didn't have a collet that size?

Makes me happy I'm doing the tb2 flywheels as my first part. At least I can probably see what I'm doing ;D Hopefully by the time I need to cut the pushrod nuts my eyesight will improve.

Those things are tiny! Very impressive.

nice work, nice photo's too.

hey wes it is funny you mention not to sneeze..............i dropped 2 or 3 on the floor of my shop when i coughed and they were never to be seen again :eek: ::) :big:

kvom: you can make the valves all one piece but it is a very slow process, as you turn the valve stem smaller you have to take lighter cuts. if you don't the valve stem will try to climb up on top of the tool bit and then it will bend.

i used the chuck to do the stems because my 3/32" collet it worn out, i have an old set of collets and some need to be replaced!

if you think these valves are tiny look at this one. this valve has a .032" stem and a .098"dia head (the bolt is 0-80 ).......and it is made out of one piece.
it is for a small engine i have been working on for about a year or so ::) ........1/4" bore and 1/4" stroke
IMG_0251.jpg

chuck

kustomkb: thanks for the compliments......the work was easy but the pics are another story,digital cameras and computers and all this electronic stuff just don't work well with me :D

well i got some more time in on the cylinder heads and the valves are all done except for the final lapping.

the heads started out looking like this
IMG_1608.jpg

then i cut them to length
IMG_1611.jpg

faced them off
IMG_1707.jpg

put them in a jig i made so they would go on my rotary table
IMG_1716.jpg

spotted all the holes (135 holes)
IMG_1721.jpg

drilled them all
IMG_1724-1.jpg

now i just have to finish the valve guides and press them into the heads.

this is one of the valve guides showing the hole for the valve and the valve seat, these should all be done in the next day or so...........i hope ::)
IMG_1739.jpg

i hope i'm not boring anyone with these long posts

chuck

Umm bored with your long posts?? I think not.

Nice work. Keep it up!

Eric

Latest posts

Back