tangential holder , angles ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stragenmitsuko

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a few tangential holders .
Recently got a shoebox full of hss bits so I might just as well give it a go .

Much information is available on the net , so that's nota problem either .
All holders seem to use thesame angle for , what's it called , side and front clearance angle .
But searching the net gives me 7° or 12° and somtimes even 15° .

Same goes for the sharpening device . Two angles , always thesame in both directions
Angles seem to vary from 15° to even 45° .

So i'de like to ask people who have one or have made one , what angles do you use ?

I'm sure it's not all that critical , but if there's some concensus about this

You can also use carbide in a tangential holder - just braze a piece of carbide onto a piece of square steel and grind the thing up .

Here are the drawings I created for making my tangential tool. The original idea came from Mike Cox. I increased the size a little and made a few minor changes. It's my go-to tool for turning. https://tinyurl.com/ufpqc73

The angles are just the same as for a conventionally presented tool, for which there a lots of resources available (and quite a lot of disparity between them). A clearance angle around 7° is suitable for pretty much any metal. More than that starts to weaken the tool and make it wear more quickly. If you want to machine copper, plastics or wood you may need more. The rake angle on the top depends on the material to be machined. Broadly speaking, flat (square to the job surface) for iron and brass which are brittle and friable, and increasing the more ductile the metal.

Latest posts

Back