Taking it up a step---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thimpfks you mean a "caliper', as a vernier is one of those old fashoned measurer that has 10 marks on one side of a slide and 11 marks on the other. Maybe you have a "digital vernier" on a micrometer. Do you have a photo? I'm confused
Here goes...
  • caliperz: What young people call the fancy mitutoyo digital calipers with the sharp pointy bits and measuring surfaces you see on clickspring being ground down on the lathe. I hope those are el cheapo.
  • calipers: The crab leg hook things that look like dividers, but no one bourne after 1980 knows exists. Unless you're a paleontologist measuring raptor skulls or like me scavenging around antique tools at the antique shoppe.
  • digital vernier caliperz: Digital calipers without an actual vernier. Mitutoyo/Starret marketing includes vernier in the name so as not to confuse people and confuse everyone else even more.
  • Vernier calipers: Calipers that use a dual sliding scale and no one in a modern machine shop can read anymore.
  • Vernier caliperz: are what young people would call either digital calipers or dial calipers.
  • Dial calipers: Calipers usually readable to .001" increments that use a dial and a rack like Brian mentioned.
I'm sure others could chime in with more confusing combinations. 😅

Here goes...
  • caliperz: What young people call the fancy mitutoyo digital calipers with the sharp pointy bits and measuring surfaces you see on clickspring being ground down on the lathe. I hope those are el cheapo.
  • calipers: The crab leg hook things that look like dividers, but no one bourne after 1980 knows exists. Unless you're a paleontologist measuring raptor skulls or like me scavenging around antique tools at the antique shoppe.
  • digital vernier caliperz: Digital calipers without an actual vernier. Mitutoyo/Starret marketing includes vernier in the name so as not to confuse people and confuse everyone else even more.
  • Vernier calipers: Calipers that use a dual sliding scale and no one in a modern machine shop can read anymore.
  • Vernier caliperz: are what young people would call either digital calipers or dial calipers.
  • Dial calipers: Calipers usually readable to .001" increments that use a dial and a rack like Brian mentioned.
I'm sure others could chime in with more confusing combinations. 😅
OK, didn't know the modern day caliperz or calipers with digital readouts were called that. Never heard that before. Thanx for bringing me up tothe real world in the real time of today.

OK, Zeb. Some of these people might even take you seriously, but it is not nice to fool people or make fun of their ignorance by making up foolish trash.

Vernier caliper
1672746717062.png

Dial caliper
51PpuIvTaUL._SL1500_.jpg

Digital caliper

61jQe2-sZhL._SL1500_.jpg

I thimpfks you mean a "caliper', as a vernier is one of those old fashoned measurer that has 10 marks on one side of a slide and 11 marks on the other. Maybe you have a "digital vernier" on a micrometer. Do you have a photo? I'm confused

You certainly are confused, I've never seen a veneir scale with 10 and 11 divisons, do you have a photo?

A 10ths Vernier scale has 10 divisions to each part of the scale one on a closer spacing than the other which equated to 9 divisions of the "longer" main scale.

vernierscale1-1.jpg

Raised on slide rules, verniers, calipers (as comparitors, not direct measuring tools) and gauges, I find my digital devices have flat batteries when I think to use them. So I use vernier calipers daily..... Even a vernier on a micrometer barrel to measure beyond my level of repeatability of using the tool. At 0.0001inch!
Measuring is a trade where toolmakers are experts. Most machinists roughly measure and compare, then rely on "measuring experts" to pass or reject their work.
My friend (an ex-toolmaker come Quality Engineer) shouts at me the moment I reach for a measuring device on any sort..... as I am always wrong!
K2

I did a search for digital vernier. Every search showed a digital caliper even though the caption showed " vernier".
I have three digital calipers, 4" right hand. 6" right hand and a 6" lefthand digital calipers. The only one I use is the 4" caliper.
Almost always I use a dial caliper and micrometers. The dial caliper is a Quinn. Accurate and do not need batteries.
mike

When I started machining things about 13 years ago, I rushed out and bought digital measuring instruments, and they worked fine.---But--Many times I went to use them, and the batteries had gone dead. It wasn't the price of the batteries that drove me crazy---it was the time I had to spend driving across town to buy the battery. Eventually, I have changed to measuring instruments that are purely mechanical in nature. Maybe not quite so Hi-Tech, but for me they work great, and the batteries never go dead.---Brian

OK, Zeb. Some of these people might even take you seriously, but it is not nice to fool people or make fun of their ignorance by making up foolish trash.
I see this is your first post. Come check out Richard's thread here. I have the utmost respect for Richard. If he asked me to misspell a word, I'd do it as a form of flattery. Same goes for any other gents here.

It's also not nice to come into a group with no knowledge of the players and dump a puddle of self righteous virtue signalling bs with your first post.

When I started machining things about 13 years ago, I rushed out and bought digital measuring instruments, and they worked fine.---But--Many times I went to use them, and the batteries had gone dead. It wasn't the price of the batteries that drove me crazy---it was the time I had to spend driving across town to buy the battery. Eventually, I have changed to measuring instruments that are purely mechanical in nature. Maybe not quite so Hi-Tech, but for me they work great, and the batteries never go dead.---Brian
Hi Brian
I make a small battery box, and use AAA batteries
And I no longer worry about the battery
it's a cheap caliper
20230104_114701.jpg
20230104_114800.jpg

same here

Brian,
I have two Mitutoyo digital vernier calipers, the black and yellow one 3 years and the silver one 2 years, still have oem battery, the top caliper I could not keep batteries up to it, at least every week I would have to replace the battery. I think the quality is the main factor in battery usage, and of course the bottom one don't need batteries.
Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• 20230104_175104.jpg
    20230104_175104.jpg
    852.4 KB · Views: 1
Battery life depends on your particular device. Many remember the last zero position so when you turn them off you are actually just turning off the display. Others like my much used Mitutoyo callipers I zero with the jaws closed each time I turn them on and only change the battery maybe every 4-5 years and that is because off means OFF.

On the digital items that I don't use that often such as the 12" callipers I take the battery out when not in use as otherwise it will invarably be flat when I come to use it again in 6 months or so.

I think Jason has nailed it. I do the same. My Mitutoyo Vernier I use constantly and I keep a supply of good quality cells in stock. The battery lasts about 6 months. I also have a 25mm and 50mm mic (also Mitutoyo) which I use for final measurements if needed. I usually take the battery out of the 50mm mic as it is less used. For me I find the convenience of the digital display and the ability to swap between imperial and metric a great advantage - the battery issue being a very minor irritation.

I do feel that the digital world (I am an electronics engineer) has made life so much easier for modelmakers. DRO, digital measurement, digital TDIs, digital inclination gauges etc have saved so much time. And then there is CNC........

Hi,
I have several cheapo 150 mm digital calipers a couple of them have what seem to be everlasting batteries as when switched off they really are off. The other two remember the previous setting when 'off' and use battery power to remember that setting causing it to run down. However they are not really that accurate and I prefer my Moore and Wright vernier calipers which are accurate (at 20°C) and easily read if you know what you're doing.

When serving my Engineering Apprenticeship back in the deep mists of time an old instructor who must have served his apprenticeship around the early 1920s taught me how to use ordinary spring calipers, both internal and external and once you learn how to 'feel' their use it is surprising how accurate such simple and relatively expensive devices can be especially when using them as comparators. They are shown in the (I seem to recall) 1935 Southbend instruction book on the lathe.

In the Museum of Science and Technology in London UK there are several examples of early 19th century machines such as Maudslay's early screwcutting lathes and the finish of the mating surfaces - all hand scraped - and accuracy have to be seen to be believed. All done without verniers, dials or elecronics just using spring calipers for comparing standards, those people were craftsmen of the highest leve. Of course Maudslay and Marc Brunel also designed and built the first mass production line installed and running by 1807.

Happy and prosperous New Year to all
TerryD

Latest posts

Back