taig tips/setup Speedy's ultimate help wanted thread.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:wall: ooops.

so if I want to turn something this long, would I need to put the tailstock on with a live center? (im assuming just drill a hole at the end of the material?) I dont have a steady rest.

thanks Mklotz, Foozer :)
regards

ps. anyone know the metal im working with?

I managed to get a better finnish but its still by no means great.
going to take a break, ran out of things to try :'( (maybe mistery metal is part of the problem :big:)

Speedy said:
so if I want to turn something this long, would I need to put the tailstock on with a live center? (im assuming just drill a hole at the end of the material?) I dont have a steady rest.

Speedy, put a center drill (not a regular drill bit) in the tail stock chuck and drill a hole so that about 2/3 of the angled center part of the drill goes into the work piece. Then you can use the tail stock center in the hole you just made. You can use the standard tail stock center, that also has the drill chuck threads on it, or if you have a Taig live center, use that.
If you use the dead center, be sure to lube it well. A good grease or heavy oil, and keep the rpm's down. Check the heat of the center often. If it gets uncomfortably warm, it needs more lube.

For practicing just making cuts, get something about one inch in dia and 2 to 2 1/2" long and chuck it up in the three jaw. You'll get a lot better idea of what the lathe can do, since it the piece won't flex all over the place. If you have some one inch aluminum rod, try that first. Otherwise, use what you've got, but keep it short.

Dean

Latest posts

Back