taig tips/setup Speedy's ultimate help wanted thread.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy

Reaction score
I am looking forward to using my lathe, but I have to wait untill I go out and purchase some material and some bits.

so I thought I should take the time to set up the lathe and have some questions.

I am not sure if the previous owner lapped the carriage to the bed.
and I am trying to make sure everything is ready for its first cuts.

what is the proper way of adjusting the gibs on the carriage?
should you be able to push the carriage across the the bed by hand? (what makes a perfect gib adjustment)

also the backlash in the handles of the carriage and cross slide is this normal to have?

I did read taigs manual but it didn't talk much about this

also if anyone has any general lathe advice for maintenance that would be great!
(any other substitute to the 10w oil taig says to oil everything with, maybe something better?)

thanks
Michael

Speedy, Get the book that pertains to this lathe written by I believe Tony Jeffree, You can search on Tee Publishing's web sit for the correct title. It will answer probably all of your questions plus has some good accesories to build for that lathe. The book is well worth the money and you won't be disapointed.

Pete

Hi Michael,

Congratulations on the new Taig. I suspect you know this, but there is a huge amount of good Taig information out on Nick Carter's site. http://www.cartertools.com/

Another good site is the Taig Owner's Club site: http://taigownersclub.forumotion.net/ and there is also a Taig group on Yahoo.

Backlash in the carriage and cross slide is normal on a lathe. I would also say you should be able to push the carriage along the bed with a gentle push. There should be no side to side motion. The Jeffree book mentioned in the previous post should be a great help as well.

Regards,

Chuck

I don't know the Taig (I barely know my own machine).
Select the 'home' tab and then do a search on 'gibs'. Lots of info.

I had (and still do since I'm still very new to this) trouble figuring out how to adjust the gibs. I ended up taking the thing apart, polishing the gibs, and then re-assembling. Very glad I did. World of difference. I expect to do it again soon...partly because I'm sure I can do it better...partly for the experience and learning. (But I have a very small machine and it's pretty easy to do.)

I don't know what others will say...but it sure seems like every machine has its personality and isn't the same as the next even if it's the same type. That's part of the fun.

I can push the carriage back and forth (assuming the screw is not engaged.)

The best information on this is on Nick Carter's site

http://www.cartertools.com/

where you'll find an enormous lot of links to Taig users' mods worldwide.

The Yahoo group is also useful - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/

If you have the milling slide it will reveal all the shake you may have in the carriage and cross slide when you take a flycut or mill.

An early check on tailstock alignment is advised. you'll need to turn a centre on a piece of stock in the chuck as Taig does not supply a headstock centre. Bringing the tailstock up to it and gently trapping a thin piece like a razor blade will reveal any side to side or vertical error. If the tailstock is low, shim it up. Headstock high, shim that. Side to side is obvious :)

10W/30 is recommended lubricant.

Please post results here. I for one will be keen.

Ray

Michael;

There's a setup procedure described with photo's on Carter Tools website;

http://www.cartertools.com/setup.html

I've seen more specifics on gib setup - if I can locate them I'll post.

Here's one site with a number of "you-build" accessories for the Taig that may appeal to you;

http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Here's Tony Jeffree's website

http://www.jeffree.co.uk/modelengineering.html

I spiraled into the Carter Tools website and wasn't seen for two weeks :big:. Be careful.... The Yahoo Group is quite active and the people very helpful. I still haven't really setup mine; I've been to distracted with re-learning machining and model IC engine designs!

Hope you enjoy the Taig as much as I do.

Cheers
Garry

Micheal:
ways should be agusted for free easy movement without any side play. Sometimes this is a tough balance.
A little backlash is normal and not a real problem on a manual lathe.
Way oil for ways. IIRC I usese mobile vacra No 2
For spindle Mobile velocolite 10
There are many brands some probly better than What I am using these are old stand buys I bought a gallon of each and will use them untilll i run out then may look for something better.
Tin

WOW I cant thank you all enough for all your help so far.

I just emailed the fellow I got the lathe off of, since he didn't use the metal setup he didnt lap it.
sooooooo I will be lapping it soon, bit nervous (might be the excitement!)

so I have to take it all apart (well just take the carriage,headstock,tailstock off)

Tin Falcon, on the taig you can oil the spindle?

Oboy I sense lots more questions when I begin! better to do it now and get it right :)

Zee,

Yes machines do have their own "personality's" and over time you learn how to "listen" to what they have to say....sometimes with your ears and sometimes with your hands and eyes.
....Ok no cracks about "Lathewispering"...... :big:

Dave

Tin Falcon, on the taig you can oil the spindle?
That was a general statement to lathes may not apply to taig sorry for any confusion . You may only need way oil for small light machines.

I just emailed the fellow I got the lathe off of, since he didn't use the metal setup he didnt lap it.
sooooooo I will be lapping it soon, bit nervous (might be the excitement!)
From what I see you just purchased a lightly used made in USA machine. Why do you want to lap the ways? does it really need it? you may be causing more problems than you are correcting by doing this.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
From what I see you just purchased a lightly used made in USA machine. Why do you want to lap the ways? does it really need it? you may be causing more problems than you are correcting by doing this.
Tin

Tin:

The manufacturer's instructions included with a new Taig tell you to do this, using a home-made lapping compound of scouring powder and oil I followed these instructions with mine, and combined it with cleaning up the gibs on the carriage, and it is quite a bit smoother than it was out of the box.

Speedy:

One question: why take off the headstock? It presumably shouldn't be a moving part when the lathe is in operation....(I'm hoping that there isn't a good reason, as I didn't lap that part of the bed on mine... ::)

Joe

Joe I sit corrected then. By all means follow manufacturers recommendations.
Tin

hey all :)
Joe d.
actually after looking at the lathe the headstock is not all the way at the end of the bed, about 7mm it can be pushed back.
maybe I will leave it (might throw off the motor alignment?)

also, when you mentioned cleaning the gibs, what did you do? because when lapping it would only do the face of the bed but leave the dovetails/gib untouched right?

also, can I use VIM and how much oil do I mix in.

Hi speedy

I aligned my headstock with the end of the ways so as to lose the least possible room on the working side. You could absorb 7mm pretty easily with adjusting placement of the pulleys. Also gives you a quick visual reference to see if anythings moved, ie see more or less of the ways and it's time for adjustment.

As to Vim, if I brought a jug of that into the shop SWMBO would swoon thinking that there was finally a "real" cleaning going on :big: :big:I've never tried it, don't know if it contains soaps or detergents that would adversely affect the oil. You can still get scouring powders at Dominion or Loblaws, look for "Old Dutch" or "Comet", the check-out girls will be big-time impressed with a young fella that keen on cleaning! If I was going to use Vim, I'd probably go with it straight out of the jug.

Cheers, Joe

I will look at the headstock, seems that it may be worth it for the extra 7mm :)

yes vim would have detergents in it, sliped my mind that oil and that wouldnt get along :big:

I have another question on the lapping, I was going to go and pick up some old dutch or comet but my parents use a cleaner from lagostina to clean their pots/pans my mom thinks it would be the same as comet or old dutch.

here is the link
http://www.lagostina.ca/eng/prodaccecleaner.html

I also checked out the bon ami that the author used in the taig article and online its says 2 products one for polish cleansing other for cleaning powder.
the lagostina would be a cleaning powder.

is their anything I should look for? I can post a picture of the lagostina powder

I can post a picture of the lagostina powder
Micheal:
you can embed an image link for illustration purposes. go to there web site right click on the photo. select "Copy Image Location"
then paste this to the post box. Select the link location by highlighting with the mouse . Then click on the IMG icon above the smiley faces, should be second row third from the left. The photo should then come up in your post
Tin

hi Tin.
I just took my own, the one online didnt look to good.

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

so I have another problem, how do I take of the pulley assembly on my motor? since I moved my headstock back 7mm the belt is not inline.
(I took the setscrew off, the pulleys press fit? or am I missing something?)

also, befor I asked here, I posted on another forum about the lapping, seems people are saying not to (it can ruin the bead etc)
but Taig says to do so (I guess you guys know what forum I am talking about :big:)

Geez speedy,

It is really unorthodox to put lapping compound on the bed of a lathe.....makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.....I know it says so on the taig site........but the inner me says no way! :big:

Warm Regards,

Dave

Speedy

your Lagostina stuff looks like scouring powder to me. I'd go with it. As to the advisability of lapping the ways, when I got my lathe, I was brand-new to this machining game, and didn't know that I shouldn't, so I did. It certainly did make the carriage travel smoother. I forgot to mention the gibs, all I did to them was slide them around on a piece of 600 grit emery cloth, there were a few burrs that needed removing. Cleaned them and the ways with some mineral spirits to remove all the abrasive residues, re-assembled and it was all good. I've been lubricating the ways with plain old 3 in 1 ever since, and everything is still working fine.

I suspect that the lapping is more about smoothing the fit of the alloy casting of the carriage than it is about smoothing the steel ways, but that's just my guess.

Joe

kool should be lapping within days ;D

I need to build a bench, my desk is way to wobbly! (even to write on :big:)
does 26inch by 19 sound alright. not sure wood or steel (angle iron etc)

also, how do I get the pulleys off the motor and headstock, took the set screws out but pulleys dont want to budge!

Latest posts

Back