Taig Lathe Limitations

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you think a sherline is too small to be of much good or too much of a toy then you are wrong. A small lathe will make small projects but that does not mean you can not make masterpieces.
Jerry Keifer is a member of the internet craftsmanship museum

Tin

It's worth knowing that Jerry also has larger machines, and some Taig stuff as well. Jerry does like Sherline stuff. Sometimes you have to do some unconventional fiddling to get a job done, even if you have larger machines..

I've used my mill and rotary table to machine disks larger than my SB10 can handle too. If you can only have smaller machines, Sherline is nice stuff. The Taig mill gives a bit more capability (and mass), but for model engineering smaller work I prefer my Sherline lathe over my Taig lathe.

When I had the clock restoration business my clock shop lathe was a Taig with a Penn State Industries 1/2 HP variable speed motor, ER16 and standard headstocks, and both Taig soft jaw and Sherline lathe chucks. My shop was small and a long bed Sherline took up too much space. Removing the tailstock on a Sherline is a pain. Because a flex shaft was used quite a bit, getting the tailstock out of the way was a requirement, and just stupidly irksome to deal with on a short bed Sherline. I know, it's not that big a deal right? Yes, say that after doing it 10 times in one day...

The larger machines lived in an outbuilding, but my clock shop was in the house. Always compromises to be made, the lathe you have beats the lathe you wish you had money and room for. Now that I'm retired, I'd love a nice 14X40 BUT the last move was very hard on me and MOST of what interests me these days fits Sherline or the SB10 just fine. I sold an old mostly restored SB13 years ago, it's very rare to wish I still had it. I like projects that don't make my back or shoulders hurt :)

Stan

Latest posts

Back