Syil X3 conversion with mach 3 software

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksahr

Reaction score
I have a Syil X3 conversion that was given to me by a community member (I'm a high school shop teacher) and I have downloaded the mach 3 software that is supposed to able to run it. My issue is the configuration. I have tried the download from mach3 and it doesn't work. Does anyone have one of these or something similiar that I can get the proper config.

The link to the text editor in config page won't work for you.
You will need to select the standard screen set .... view/load screens
Attached is BOB schematic. You can figure out pins from that fairly easily.
The schematic is correct. If the step and direction pins in XML file is wrong I will dig out my current file. I think is correct from my archives.
Files in .zip so they would load as attachments.

View attachment bob-X3-schematic.PDF

View attachment Mach3_SX3.zip

Thanks for the replies. Tried all recommendations. Still not responding. The dro on the mach3 is responding but nothing on the machine. I think there is a hardware issue. I get a relay activation when I use the 《》 keys, but no xyz motion. Any ideas?

Is your E-stop loop good? when you press the reset button on the Mach screen do the motors turn on and lock into position?
I'm guessing not.

Dave

I can get the estop to reset on mach3 and I assume it resets on the mill because the spindle does its full forward then full reverse. The motors were very warm yesterday so I assume they are powering up. I'm using the trial version of mach3 but per the video I installed the appropriate drivers. I'm not entirely sure the machine in functional. I get a lot of garbage people don't know what to do with.

Just to be clear when you press reset the motors should turn on and lock but not move. When you press (ref all home) then the axis should home one at a time. is this when the Z moves? The Z should home near the top of its travel; I wouldn't want a machine to extend the z axis while homing, that is asking for a crash. Did the PC you are using ever run the machine? you may need to identify who made the break out board and down load a plug in from them.

Dave

With power off, remove and support the back panel.
Turn on.
Some lights on drivers will be on, because the steppers are powered. That is good.
Yes. Reasonably warm is normal. Hot when you are doing continuous movement.
Using arrow keys in Mach3, the DROs should change.
Moving various directions, the step and direction LEDS on the drivers should change as you push the keys.
It sounds like it is in ESTOP state, regardless of what Mach3 says. You need enable signals to the drivers.
You can measure step (maybe) and direction signals with a multimeter. Refer to Config settings and my BOB diagram from post #3
Be VERY careful no wiring touches the chassis or the stepper connectors are loose while powered up.
Make sure they are secure whenever the power is on. Always check with the power OFF. One loose connection will kill a driver.
Forget the homing - don't even bother until you can jog with the keyboard.
Front panel removal? POWER ALWAYS off. Quill all the way down before removing screws. (clears the DTI mechanism)
Earthed wiring warning applies, ESPECIALLY here.
Estop wire and the silly, dumb, useless swinging plastic panel switch are in series and must be closed.
If the spindle runs, then this wiring is OK and no need to remove front panel.

I have no experience with this machine; only on my converted Bridgeport clone running Mach.

It appears that neilw20 will be able to offer much more help than me.

Dave

A few weeks ago my control computer died and I switched in a replacement and then I encountered the same problem. Turned out to be a problem with the parallel port setup.

A few weeks ago my control computer died and I switched in a replacement and then I encountered the same problem. Turned out to be a problem with the parallel port setup.

A few years ago I had exactly the same thing happen.

Everything had been working very well with Mach 2. After I changed motherboard, I got zilch!
After much struggling I found the new motherboard only put out 3.3V signals, while the breakout board I had used for a year expected 5V

Since then I have changed computer and find my current machine doesn't even have a printer-port - it's all USB. (See my thread in Software and Programming, http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f39/sending-g-code-grbl-21804/#post232363 )

I do still use Mach (Mach 3) but only to verify that my G-code is good. Mach3 doesn't care if nothing receives its output :)
Geoff

If the DROs are changing you can be sure that mach3 is NOT in the estop mode and that pulses are going out the parallel port.

Some things to look for- mach3 needs to know the memory address of the par port- it assume the pc standard, but your par port may not be using the standard. Use device manager to see the address, then be sure that is what mach sees on the first tab of the Ports and Pins dialog.

Be sure your motors lock up when the power is on. Maybe your driver has an enable pin that must be set.

After redoing motor control outputs using the schematic (THANKS) I'm now able to control xyz with keyboard as well as mach3. The spindle control is still not connected. I've tried the schematic and the video. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back