SX3 Conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1hand said:
Today's goodies include the project boxes, soldering station, and a multimeter.
001-22.jpg

It's starting to look like there's a NASA project going on around here in the basement. :eek:

Matt

Just picked up a 60watt station, so I should be good to go there.

Here is the Soigeneris control box.
001-24.jpg

A shot of the G540
002-17.jpg

Inside houses the MeanWell 320W 48V Power Supply with its own fan.
003-16.jpg

This control box is built like a tank. I am tickled pink with the craftsmanship of the entire controller.

Matt

Here we got the 20 AWG stepper motor cables with the db9's attached.
006-7.jpg

A db9 connector rigged up for 2 external E-stops, 1 by the Mill, and 1 by the Lathe.
007-5.jpg

A 3K resistor for the Nema 34.
005-11.jpg

Some limit switches. Haven't decided yet on them.
004-14.jpg

Matt

Here is the control center I built today. It's smack dab in between the Mill and the Lathe. The monitor rotates 90deg left and right, so it should work pretty sweet for running both machines.
008-5.jpg

Matt

Vernon said:
Nice... much better'n my setup.

Yours works though!! :big:

Do I need to Add anything to the Mach 3 to recognize the G540, or is it just a plug and play?
While I'm waiting for the ball screws, I figure I would hook up the motors on the bench and see if I can make them turn.

Thanks
Matt

Do I need to Add anything to the Mach 3 to recognize the G540, or is it just a plug and play?
You need to download the 540b.xml file from gecko then copy your mill profile and rename it and set it up to call on the 540b file.
Tin

That was the longest 6 hours of my life, but I finally made a stepper move with a stroke of the keyboard........VICTORY. *beer*

Being the computer is placed in between the two machines, I got something that's a bit more mobile than the key board for jogging.
003-17.jpg

Matt

1hand said:
Being the computer is placed in between the two machines, I got something that's a bit more mobile than the key board for jogging.

Excellent! I've often wished for something like that... even more now that I've got two machines to run between.

Had a little glitch today. I realized that for the resistors to do any good in the plotting boxes, I need 6 wire leads instead of the 4 lead wire I have. :wall: At lease I caught it now before I smoked something. :shrug: th_wtf1
So I must be learning something so far ::)

Oh well,

Got a few things soldered and wired up today anyway.
005-12.jpg

004-15.jpg

007-6.jpg

006-8.jpg

Matt

Had a little glitch today. I realized that for the resistors to do any good in the plotting boxes, I need 6 wire leads instead of the 4 lead wire I have.
ge why does that sound like deja vu
;D
Tin

Some progress:

The Z ballscrew
001-25-1.jpg

002-18.jpg

003-18.jpg

Of course The Z motor pulley is on backorder
004-16.jpg

005-13.jpg

006-9.jpg

007-7.jpg

Matt

Even though I don't have the pulley to finsh the Z axis, I had to play a bit!
011-4.jpg

012-3.jpg

Cheers Matt

Nice playing there, Matt.

Your machine sounds like how I feel ::)

Coming together quickly and nicely, Matt.
Have fun playing.
Gail in NM

Latest posts

Back