SX3 Conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hand

Reaction score
Here's the build Thread for the SX3 CNC Conversion.

I've decided to use the Fignoggle Plans for this conversion.

http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/x3cncplans.htm

001-18.jpg

I will start with building the mounting brackets and such. This will give me time to do some more research and acquire the other components. What I like about the plans, is that it will allow me to go at my own pace, and will still allow me to use my mill in between steps. The option of using the mill manually in the end is also a deciding factor over the Fusion Kit.

For now I'm undecided, but am thinking of just using the stock lead screws for all 3 axis. This will allow me to get the mill up and running faster, and cheaper. As the ball screws can be added later. I think?

Matt

You are correct. You can always put the ball screws in later. Buy the cheap McMaster Carr screws and nuts. Take all the balls out of the nut and buy some good quality .125 balls (7 bucks a hundred) from a bearing supply like VXB or another source and reload the nut. I had .0005 backlash after the reload.

1Hand,
I'm curios if you have an idea as to the total cost....servos, controller...etc. I have a 3 axis DRO with SPC outputs and spare P3 computer.

General "ballpark" idea would be fine

Tony

Tony,

Not a clue yet. Steve would be able to give ya a closer figure than me. I think It really depends on how much of the work you want to do, And the quality of componets you use. I've just put a pencil to this so far:

Aluminum for brackets and motor mounts $140
Pulleys, belts, zero backlash coupling $100

Total $240

I'll try to keep a running total through out the build.

Matt

Thanks Matt,
I already have ACAD to draw the parts with and I could network my 2 computers. I'm thinking that the DRO's I have will be abled to get hook in and save me a little $$.

The plans site only has prices for certain things, well at least as far as I got look.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42827

I don't think they make one for my mill
I might have to do my own engineering

Tony

I have a DRO set up on my mill. What am I missing? Can I use that some how in this CNC conversion? I really don't know much about any of this. I just trying to pick it up as I go. Kinda of a dare devil I guess. ::)

Matt

How do you plan on doing the Z axis, without a dovetail column?

I look on the back of my display and didn't see any other hook up's other than the 3 glass scale connections.

dro002.jpg

Matt
Your right no other connector. I haven't seen the back of my DRO in a long time. I do come in contact on a daily basis with all kinds of "stuff". I was probably thinking of something else

???

Tony

First Question:

I need to pick out what steppers I'm going to use. So I can make the mounts.

Would this one be good for my SX3?? ???

Nema 34 High Torque stepper motor
1200 oz-in 1/2" shaft with flat, 118mm
It spouse to be water and dust proof ???

Here's a spec sheet
http://www.kelinginc.net/KL34H2120-60-4A-IP65.pdf

Thanks Matt

1hand said:
Would this one be good for my SX3?? ???
Nema 34 High Torque stepper motor
1200 oz-in 1/2" shaft with flat, 118mm

How about some Nema 23's at about 300 Oz. Get some that are around 1-3 volt motors. Supply the controller with 24 volt DC. 300Oz motors will toss that machine around like you won't believe.

My 2 pennies

Steve

I used 300 Oz motors for my X-2 You may want to take a look at my x-2 conversion thread. I used a IIRC 36 v keiling power supply with a Gecko 540. Mach 3 for software.
Tin

I was just going off what the plans said. 34's at around 1000 oz-in.

Steve could you recommend some part numbers from keling on what I should be using?

The Z axis is pretty hefty going up, just want to make sure I got enough torque. And in case like you said about a bigger mill down the road, the possibility of switching what I have over.

1hand said:
I was just going off what the plans said. 34's at around 1000 oz-in.
the possibility of switching what I have over.

It's hard to predict the future. 1200-1500 will move a bridgport around very good with belt drive. If I were doing a Bridgeport, I would spend the money on the Gecko's.

Don't know what to tell you other than this.

X3 300 Oz with 24 volt
Bridgeport 1200Oz with Gecko 210's and 60-80 volt

We are getting into 2 different animals. Starting to cross the line from hobby machine to very capable production machine. This one has to be your call because the money is going to jump about 5X

I'm for cheap and whats going to work.

I'm trying to pick up the terminology as I go here, so bare with me.

I just don't understand why the guy that made these plans, would want you to use 1000oz steppers when you can easily get by with 300oz. The plans are geared for 34's. So I would have to reconfigure the mounts for 23's I guess. Do you have to make a special coupler then from 1/4" to 1/2"?

1hand said:
I just don't understand why the guy that made these plans, would want you to use 1000oz steppers when you can easily get by with 300oz. The plans are geared for 34's. So I would have to reconfigure the mounts for 23's I guess. Do you have to make a special coupler then from 1/4" to 1/2"?

If it is geared for 34's, then get 34's. They range from 400-1200Oz.

Jimmy's plans called for 156Oz on the table. We bumped it to 300Oz

Is the Z axis belt driven or direct drive. Jimmy's is belt driven at 2.5:1. If you are direct drive or geared 1:1 you might need to go with the 906Oz.

Its belt driven with a 30t and 15t. So what ever that ratio is?

With a bunch of Google searches, I've came up with a combonation that seems to be working well for the SX3's.

(2) Nema 23 381oz. "for X & Y" $100
(1) Nema 34 906oz. "for Z" $100
G540 Geckodrive $290
48v/7.3a power supply $60

Total $560

I started the Z axis motor plate today.
001-19.jpg

002-14.jpg

2 hours later:
003-13.jpg

004-11.jpg

All went pretty well. The DRO worked great for marking out everything, as the plans had all dimensions laid out from two sides. Took most of the day, but then again, I'm no speed demon. Probably could go and purchase this part for $20, but I made it myself, and that's pretty cool too.

Cheers Matt

Latest posts

Back