SX2.7 Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi2

Reaction score
Hi,

I ordered an SX2.7 mill from the local (NZ) Sieg agent on 9/10/15. It finally turned up more than 4 months later on 25/2/16. On the 29th February after cleaning it up I found I couldn't clamp the spindle because the spindle sleeve locking shaft which sits between a cap screw and the spindle was missing. I contacted the local rep and he said Sieg would courier one out. No sign of anything after nearly 3 weeks. I've asked for a drawing to make my own but I'm not holding my breath for a reply.
I suspect the locking shaft is just a short length of 6 - 8mm round stock with possibly a concave end to match the diameter of the spindle.
Can anyone with say an SX2 mill check to see what the locking shaft looks like and let me know? I'm intending to make it from brass or phosphor bronze to avoid scoring the spindle.

Regards,
Alan C.

I use an X3 and that does not have a means to lock the spindle, never been a problem is 9 years of use.

Hi Jason,

I may have mislead you by calling the missing piece a spindle locking shaft. It actually clamps onto the quill to stop it bouncing up and down when milling. The arrangement for this on the X3 is different with the clamp lever being on the front of the machine and operating tangentially to the quill rather than being located on the side and operating radially on the quill as is the case with the SX2.7.

Regards,
Alan C.

In that case you definately don't want to be without it. Is there an exploaded parts diagram that will give you a clue as to what it looks like?

We have only just started to get the 2.7 from one seller here so not a lot of detail available

I was refering to a way to stop teh spindle turning when tool changing

Hi Jason,

Here is an exploded view of the mill. The missing part is #24 which sits between part 80 (an M10 cap screw) and the quill. It's not clear from the drawing what the part looks like but I'm guessing it's a short length of say 8mm round stock with possibly a concave end with a diameter equal to that of the quill.

Regards,
Alan C.

SX2.7ExplView.jpg

Yes looks like a short length of a possibly slightly softer metal

Thanks for your comments Jason. It looks like the model is still too new for anyone else to have one and let me know what the missing part looks like. I think I'll have a go at making one out of brass.
I was going to do a review of this mill. You can imagine what I'll be saying about the Sieg customer service!

Regards,
Alan C.

Back