Swifty's build of Howell V4

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As shown if you extend the face of the one cylinder bank out (perhaps with a flat plate or something) it's giving you the measurement to the corner of the other bank. This will be important when you fit the intake manifold on the top of the block. If it's not correct the monifold won't fit properly.
I guess if you do everything else correct this measurement will be automatic. But it can / should be used as a double check and probably should be laid out on the end of the block as a guide to be sure you hit it right on doing the other machining.
Not sure about his orientation suggestion. Whatever way you choose to get everything at the correct angles is the right way.

Last edited:
Bit of a silly question but is this the same as having the top face at the top and rotate the table 45* for one bank and then back 90* for the second?
Ian

There may have been some concern with backlash.

Can anybody tell me the size of the O rings at the bottom of the cylinders.
In fact is there a list of all the O ring sizes used any where.
Thank you
Ian

Hi Ian, The "O" rings for the bottom of the cylinder bores are 1/16th section by 1" ID.
I have the complete "O" chart as supplied in the Howell kit if you require
any more info.
Bill.

Hi Bill.
Thanks for your reply.
Is it possible for you to send me the list ? Also is there a list of bearings used?
I'm not sure how you sent a personal message to a member on this forum.
Ian

My cams (Medium).JPG
My cams 2 (Medium).JPG
Hello.I'm making progress in building the Jerry Howell V4 from the plans I purchased.I'm at the cam shaft stage and have managed to confuse my self ( nothing unusual about that !) I have made the cam pairs as the plans> ie "handed" for cylinders 1,2 and 3,4 and assembled them on the shafts as per Jerry's method and they look the same as his.. My question is are both Cam shafts (cylinders 1 & 3 and cylinders 2 & 4) identical because I've seen photos on the internet which would suggest they are "handed" ? Attached is a photo of my Cam shafts. I would appreciate your comments/advise on this.
>
> Regards Ian

Last edited:
View attachment 112297 View attachment 112298 Hello.I'm making progress in building the Jerry Howell V4 from the plans I purchased.I'm at the cam shaft stage and have managed to confuse my self ( nothing unusual about that !) I have made the cam pairs as the plans> ie "handed" for cylinders 1,2 and 3,4 and assembled them on the shafts as per Jerry's method and they look the same as his.. My question is are both Cam shafts (cylinders 1 & 3 and cylinders 2 & 4) identical because I've seen photos on the internet which would suggest they are "handed" ? Attached is a photo of my Cam shafts. I would appreciate your comments/advise on this.
>
> Regards Ian
The 3 and 4 cams are supposed to be reversed on the shafts from what the 1 and 2 are.
Regards,
Bob

Hi Bob
Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by reversed ?
Ian

The cam pairs are mounted so the exhaust lobes are facing the ends of the shaft.
Hope this helps!
Regards,
Bob

Thanks for that Bob, I understand that the exhaust lobes face the ends of the shaft. It's the orientation of the two cam pairs on each shafts I'm not sure about. As you can see on my photos both cam shafts are the same, is this correct?
Ian

Hi Ian,
Yes both shafts are the same. Do you have the cam gear timing info? If not, it is available on the Howell V4 web site.
Regards,
Bob

Hi Bob.
Thanks for that conformation I can sleep easy tonight :)

Regards Ian

Hi all,

I know that I haven’t posted for years now, but just to fill everyone in, due to my ongoing health problems my wife and I moved to a retirement village just over 3 1/2 years ago. It was not possible to relocate my machines so everything was sold as a whole to a friend, at that stage the engine was about 95% finished. Boy, do I miss not having those machines.

So currently the engine is making a great display on my bookcase, even got the spark plugs ready to go. It’s only the internals of the distributor that remained to be made. I’ve been thinking lately that I may mount it on a box with a 12 volt drill motor hidden away so at least I can turn it over easy.

I’m toying with the idea of writing some technical articles, it’s a shame to waste all those years of being a toolmaker without sharing. Will see how it goes.

Regards to all,

Paul. (Swifty)

G'day Paul.

Was wondering about you and your engine. Haven't heard of for a while. Good to know your still around.

I have a few friends who, due to health reasons, had to dismantle their workshops (all tradies/toolies) and downsize. Must have been very frustrating for you as it was for them.

I too have purchased the Howell V4 plans, so t'would be nice to see your engine finished and running. Probably stink your unit out with oil and petrol smells (drool, slobber, drool).

Yourself, being a retired toolmaker, would probably have so many tips and tricks up your sleeve. Would be terrific to read some of your antidotes, both from your working life and model making. The little things we tradies do by second nature would be good reading for the rest of us and especially for "Joe Bloggs Junior" setting us his workshop and trying to learn machining and techniques.

Kind Regards,
Stay safe,

Trevor,
Melbourne, AU

Hello Swifty,
Great to hear from you again. During my build of the Howell V4 I readily admit to referring to your manufacturing progress both from your concepts and description. Bit sad about the outcome but one must do for the best. Your idea of technical articles would be appreciated by all.
Thank you,
Bill. South Aus

I would love to read any kind of experiences you could share, especially any tips or wisdom. I'm sorry to hear about the V4, you did more with that than most people dream about.

Please share anything you would like, I know I'll be reading it.

John

Back