Swifty's build of Howell V4

Discussion in 'A Work In Progress' started by Swifty, Mar 2, 2015.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Feb 20, 2016 #421

Swifty

Swifty

Swifty

Haven't had a lot of time to work on the engine, but I thought that I would do a part assembly to see how it looks with the radiator. I didn't attach the fan as I have to trim a bit off the OD of the blades. I still have quite a few parts to machine yet, I may even tackle making the spark plugs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul.

2. Feb 20, 2016 #422

10K Pete

10K Pete

10K Pete

Beautiful engine, Paul! Simply stunning. Can't wait to see and hear it run.

Pete

3. Feb 20, 2016 #423

Swifty

Swifty

Swifty

Thanks Pete, I'm keen to get it finished, but too many things interfere with workshop time.

Paul.

4. Feb 20, 2016 #424

michael-au

michael-au

michael-au

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Very nice Paul

You have done a fantastic job, should be very proud 👍😀

5. Feb 20, 2016 #425

canadianhorsepower

canadianhorsepower

canadianhorsepower

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Beautiful engine and setup , stunning.Thm:Thm:

How long before we see and hear it run.

6. Feb 20, 2016 #426

Swifty

Swifty

Swifty

Thanks Luc, at the moment I'm trying to fit in too many things into my day, life sure is busy. I seem to be able to get more things done during our colder months when outdoor activities are less. Right now we are at the end of summer, perfect weather for using our camping trailer and getting out into the Australian bush for some relaxing breaks.

I hope to have it finished in a couple of months and then see what other project I can build.

Paul.

canadianhorsepower likes this.
  7. May 11, 2016 #427

Swifty

Swifty

Swifty

I thought that I better check in, I'm still alive and well, my hospital visits are now 2 weeks apart so that gives me more time to do other things. I've been having a bit of a break from machining, apart from a few things friends wanted me to do. We seem to be past the good weather now and into the windy and rainy weather, so that means it's time to put in more effort into finishing the engine. I've recently started machining the last pieces of the distributor and will post some photos when I have a few bits to show.

Paul.

8. May 25, 2016 #428

roxwellmax

roxwellmax

roxwellmax

Hello,

I've been trying to make the 48DP gear cutting hob you describe in your post relating to the Howell V2 build. I have managed to make a reasonable tool following your instructions, which produces quite good gears of 21 teeth and above, anything smaller and the tooth form is not as good as it should be. Do I need a different form cutter for smaller tooth sizes? I'm not an engineer just a self taught enthusiast with limited ability, which seem to suggest my limited skills are to blame. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. I hope you don't mind me contacting you. Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Max

9. May 26, 2016 #429

AlbertdeWitte

AlbertdeWitte

AlbertdeWitte

Paul

I have been so busy lately building the Red Wing I was not even looking around what others are building.

I did not read all your pages but I can simply say you are doing a great job on this little beauty!!

I might one day convince myself to attempt this project, but for now I dont think I have the tools to even think about it.

Admiring your workth_wav

Albert

Swifty likes this.
  10. May 27, 2016 #430

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Moderator

Lots of info at THIS LINK on how to make them. I've made down to 20 tooth gears and they work fine, haven't tried smaller but I believe they should be possible.

11. May 27, 2016 #431

Swifty

Swifty

Swifty

Hi Max,
    At the moment I can't think of any reason why the cutter should not work on gears with smaller teeth, so long as your gear blanks are the right size. If the blanks are not correct for the number of teeth you will get funny looking teeth, might be worth checking.

Paul.

12. May 27, 2016 #432

roxwellmax

roxwellmax

roxwellmax

Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I'll check everything and retry.

Max

13. May 29, 2016 #433

roxwellmax

roxwellmax

roxwellmax

Paul,

I noticed a mention of your method of milling a cam, in Gus thread on Howells V2 build. I'll be very grateful if you could let me know where I can find details. I'm trying to build this engine and need all the help I can get.

Many thanks

Max.

14. May 30, 2016 #434

Swifty

Swifty

Swifty

Hi Max, post 175 onwards shows a bit about the way I machined my cams. I have used other methods in the past, but decided to give this way a go. I redrew the cams on my computer from the dimensions on the drawing, and then obtained the correct offsets to allow me to use the boring head to machine the flanks of the cams. I'm sorry that there is not a lot more information on it, but it may be of some help.

Paul.

15. May 30, 2016 #435

gus

gus

gus

Hi Max.best

No worries. I used Paul's method to mill cams.His method was the best I ever come across.Paul DHLed the Gear Hob to me and using this I had all the gears hobbed. No worries.

Hi Paul,

Looks like the Howell Twins(Paul & Gus) are back at work on the V-4 and V-2.

Fishing been good.

16. May 30, 2016 #436

Swifty

Swifty

Swifty

Gus, I'm back at work, but slowly at the moment. I've been doing a bit of promotion work for kidney health, as well as taking part in a few discussion groups with my transplant hospital regarding their way forward in the future.

Paul.

17. Jun 2, 2016 #437

gus

gus

gus

Thats good. Voluntary work. Giving first hand advice to fellow patients.Dr Cox is doing well and back to work fixing dogs and cats in USA.
    I gave thanks to the Good Lord for your recovery. Are there ways and means to prevent kidneys going bad. I like the term Kidney Health best.
    I am making good progress on the V-2 and taking my sweet time. The Gear Case Assembly is a like a bbee hive with too many details. No rush.

Swifty likes this.
  18. Jun 3, 2016 #438

Swifty

Swifty

Swifty

Hi Gus, I'm just a bit slow to get fully motivated to finish off the V4, although I am working on it slowly. The weather is getting colder here now, so will have to use the heater in the workshop.

There are ways and means to prevent kidney disease, healthy living, low salt, watch blood pressure etc, but in my case the problem was hereditary so I was always going to end up having problems. Attended a briefing today at the Hospital regarding a much larger conference in 4 days time, will get free breakfast and lunch there, that's enough motivation for me to go :D

Paul.

19. May 20, 2019 #439

johnstij

johnstij

johnstij

deleted posted in error. See next post.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  20. May 20, 2019 #440

johnstij

johnstij

johnstij

Hello.
    I have just stumbled across this build thread and finding it very helpful as I've just started to build the V4 to Jerry's plans.
    I've made a start on the engine block and am at the point of boring the cylinder bores. In the build notes Jerry suggest mounting the block on a rotary table with the bottom face at the top and then rotating it 135* degrees and machine the first cylinder bank then rotate 90* and machine the second . Bit of a silly question but is this the same as having the top face at the top and rotate the table 45* for one bank and then back 90* for the second? Also I don't understand the 1.546" measurement on sheet 8 it's to/from a point in thresh air?
    Thank you
    Ian