Swashplate Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vederstein

Must do dumb things....
Reaction score
After putting in too much time designing a stationary engine using Walscheart's valve gear, I was never able to get it looking like I had envisioned.

So, I dropped the idea for now and went back to an idea I started years ago: An axial engine using a swashplate as the crankshaft. Looking on the Interwebs, this basic concept was used for some steamship engines and in Dayton, Ohio USAF museum is a cutaway of an axial piston aircraft engine.

My engine is still axial, but I wanted to put it in an orientation that is just plain weird: vertical with an underslung flywheel. In some ways it's like an elbow engine, but obviously not an elbow engine.

So I present the following concept.

In the cutaway view, the rotating magenta colored plate is the steam valve.

Please comment if you see any major issues.

Assy - Swashplate Engine.jpg

I've been working on this contraption and my rotating valve plate idea failed. So I have a redesign using spool valves and a rotary cam. What's not shown is that I intend to use an oring around the perimeter of the engine as valve springs(s). The oring will ride in the cross cut on the valve(s).

SWE CUTAWAY.JPG

SWE.JPG

The engine in its current, failed, state:

IMGP3001.JPG

Last edited:
Several more weeks of work, and I'm getting closer. I have engine running on two of the four cylinders and that's without a flywheel.

It's a noisy sucker, but I have ideas on how to ease that.

For as long as I've been working on this thing, today was a big milestone!

Dave,

I assume the air admission is a rotary valve on the flywheel axle?

Dave,

I assume the air admission is a rotary valve on the flywheel axle?

Hi Ved

I like your design - it looks very interesting, so I thought you might like to see something akin to a swash plate engine. (You no doubt realise mine is Not a swash plate engine).
You are correct, the air inlet is a rotary valve and the exhaust is through the centre of the main shaft opposite the flywheel.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Hi All,
You might like to look up the drawings in L.J.K. Setright's book "Some Unusual Engines". It shows the Ford Swash Plate
engine as well as some other interesting engines. Dam good read.

As I've done with my other engine designs, I'll post all relevant design files, cad models, casting patterns, etc. to this forum when I'm done with the engine.

Being that this one has been a particularly frustrating build, I've tried to capture my on-the-fly changes, but alas, I probably have missed a couple. At this point, I cannot guarantee all the drawings will be exactly correct.

Worked at Sundstrand Aerospace now part of UTC. Hydraulic pumps/motors with variable displacements are all swash plate design and the Mark 49 torpedo engine is a swash plate engine with pressure supplied by rocket fuel.
For hydraulic swash plate designs they ability to pull and push the piston is provided. For an engine pulling is the intaking of air and fuel. the angled plates do not rotate. Oil pressure bleed hole lubricates a slipper and the ball joint. a plate that rotates with the piston holds the slipper on the pull stroke to the plate and the ball joint is either bent in or has a snap ring held in surface to also pull. Not sure how the mark 48 design works since hot rocket gases are not used to lubricate the engine. Swash plate valve plate is on the other end of the cylinder block. Vickers makes a variation of what is described above using spring s to pull the piston. and a flapper spring one way valves.
There is a ball piston combustion engine also in existence that used centrifugal force to do the intake and exhaust stroke. The path is an oblong slot to achieve 4 strokes.

Variable flow rate hydraulic pumps are commonly of a swashplate design as well. As the flow rate requirements decrease and the pressure requirements increase, the swashplate will rotate closer 0 degrees trading volume for pressure. Often this actuation is entirely automatic with the swashplate being spring loaded as part of the mechanical controls.

The only thing I have left to make on this engine is the flywheel which I'm purchasing from Martin Models. As such, I'm confident that posting the design files at this time is now warranted:

1630281332126.png

PDF files of the Assembly Drawings:

Attachments

• Assy - Base.pdf
    205.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Assy - Cylinder.pdf
    96.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Assy - Piston.pdf
    82.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Assy - Swashplate Engine.pdf
    254.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Assy - Swashplate.pdf
    81.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Assy - Valve.pdf
    88 KB · Views: 211
More Parts Drawings:

Attachments

• Cam.pdf
    73.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Cylinder Base.pdf
    82.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Cylinder Cap.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Swashplate.pdf
    91.2 KB · Views: 186
  • Valve Body.pdf
    94.9 KB · Views: 142
The solid model of the engine in .stp format (.zipped):

Attachments

• Assy - Swashplate Engine.zip
    150.1 KB · Views: 195
Finally, the casting patterns:

Attachments

• Base Casting 02 - 01.stl
    696 KB · Views: 172
  • Base Casting 02 - 02.stl
    807.1 KB · Views: 162
It was brought to my attention that I forgot to attach the base casting drawing.

Here it is attached.

Attachments

• Base Casting.pdf
    88 KB · Views: 114
I have a friend that is planning on building this engine, but he wants to do it all from machined barstock instead of the base casting.

I spent a couple of minutes redesigning the base for him to go from castings to barstock.

Drawings are attached.

1636925026620.png

...Ved.

Attachments

• Alternative Assy - Base.pdf
    186.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Alternative Base.pdf
    90.6 KB · Views: 119
wow, good to see all these swashplate engines, here's another. I need to replace the brass-on-brass rotary valve with teflon-on-brass as the valve faces are getting scored up. Its double-acting with steam chests at both ends, and the wobbling star shaped swashplate really gets a lot of attention.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Back