Swash Plate Plans?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
I've had a short list of engine types I want to add to my collection for sometime now. One of those designs is a steam driven swash plate engine. I've got a couple of photos somewhere of crude efforts, but neither are clear enough to try designing my own. Web searching has turned up little to go on. Has anyone built one of these who can share photos or perhaps someone has drawings for such a beast?

Steve

Have you checked out Elmer's Engines #14 wobble plate. or is this a different beast?
Tin

Steve,

If I remember rightly, we had a bit of a discussion on here late last year about swashplate engines like this one.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1T6KwJW6W7A[/ame]

It just looks like timing the cylinders to fire at the right time to push on an angled plate. If you look very carefully you can see the cylinders are not connected to the swashplate.

Another source might be to look for torpedo drives, they sometimes used a gas driven swashplate engine. Another one for ideas is the swashplates used on helicopters, plus you can also get swashplate hydraulic pumps and motors.

John

FWIW, here's a photo of Elmer's swash plate engine...

wobbler.jpg

John
That is just the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'm trying to locate the photos I have but am having no luck as of yet. I did find one photo that I'll post later which will challenge even your abilities...LOL

Marv and Tin...
Nice little engine idea there. I think it would have been more than a little fun to spend time around old Elmer. I really like the way his head worked.

Steve

Steve,

You can pause the vid and print out at any time.

That one looks rather easy to do, just a rotary control valve on the shaft end and eight interconnected cylinders, matched as firing pairs, looks to be 180 degrees apart. You only need it to be single acting, as the swashplate will push the cylinders back if they are open to exhaust.

I am sure a man of your calibre could knock one out in a couple of days.

John

Latest posts

Back