Super Tigre G32 1cc diesel - a 5cc version

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramon

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
After finishing the Eta engines it was intended to follow those with this project but somehow that intention got waylaid by the Waller engine and other extraneous factors that occurred late last year and into this one ::) At last though, after what seems like an eternity due to one distraction or another, it looks like I'm finally in a position to begin working on another 5cc version of a 'diesel' model aircraft engine ;D

The one chosen for scaling up this time is a small 1cc engine produced by Super Tigre in the fifties. ST also produced 1.5 and 2.5 cc versions on similar lines - ie rear intake drum valve induction with bolt on ball raced front housings - single for the 1 and 1.5cc and, I believe, twin for the 2.5cc. Here are a couple of images of the original. These were supplied by Ernesto Pizzi of Messina in Italy who kindly agreed to take several views of his engine for me. Ernesto also assisted with measuring and providing dimensions of his original as well as comparing the new drawings to the original dimensions

G32%25201cc%2520-%252001.JPG

G32%25201cc%2520-%252007.jpg

As can be seen the original crankcase is a die casting and is going to present some challenges to machine it from solid particularly around the intake area ( No CNC I'm afraid, just basic kit available). However with carefull set ups and a bit of fettling with a rotary burr in strategic places I feel a reasonable representation can be achieved without too many compromises which will, hopefully, convey the lines of this very characterful little engine.

Why 5cc? well for me it's a good size to handle, not too small to be fiddly especially on the smaller parts and not so big as to require sourcing larger lumps of material. They swing a decent sized prop and make a lovely sound too. I know there can be some problems with sourcing fuel for some but for me no glo motor gives off an aroma like a diesel does ;D
Materials are reasonably basic - He 30 ali for the case, front housing and head and, as with previous engines, En1a leaded steel will be used for the liner with a cast iron piston and the crankshaft made from En24T.

Making these engines is not a long term commitment. They have a low part count but the machining does have to be accurate with good - and in the case of the piston liner fit, exceptional tolerances but it is all achievable with easilly made kit and when it bursts into life at the end, well ;D ;D ;D ;D

There doesn't appear to be too many threads on here for such a project so I don't know if this will appeal to members but if there are any interested in making such engines as before I'm quite happy to share this build on here with you.

On that note then I have done a set of drawings for all parts but have just realised I do not know how to get them on here as PDF attachments. I have them converted to PDF so if someone could point me in the right direction (please keep it as simple and straightforward as possible) it would be appreciated and I'll get them posted so you can see what's what.

Regards for now - Ramon

I'll be tagging along with interest!

I am looking forward to following this build!

I think you can upload the .pdf drawings in the "Downloads and Uploads" section of the site. There is a link in the Menu at the upper left corner of this page.

I will be very interested to see how you machine the crankcase and look forward to following along.

Jan

Piston fit is really tight on these....I'll be watching and taking some notes!.....especially with you doing it Ramon....lots to learn! :bow:

Dave

I've got my chair pulled up

Stew

Looking forward to watching you sculpt another beuty out of a block of ali.

Re the drawings one easy way to attach them as you go along in to get the pdf up on your screen and then use the snipping tool (in windows accesories) just drag a square or rectangle around the part of the drawing and it will save it as a jpg which you can put into your photo hosting site.

This would keep each drawing with the description and then maybe put the lot in teh download section for those that want to print it off to work from.

J

I'm another one looking forward to this Ramon. Thoroughly enjoyed and admired both your ED Racer and especially the ETA!!
Chair pulled up and at the ready!!
cheers
Bill Pudney

Hi guy's, thanks for the response, glad to hear from you. It would be nice to hear from anyone actually making anything similar too.

I have now uploaded the General Arrangement in the downloads section - thanks 'Paulsv' - and will follow up with the detail parts later.

I like the idea you suggest Jason and will look into that this evening.

Now I'm off to the workshop to make a lot of ali swarf - no not on these today (but will do definitely tomorrow) but on another I/C project which by it's nature will be a long term one - perhaps a bit more on that later as well ;)

back soon then

Regards - Ramon

Heres the link to the download - any idea how to do it so it's shown as an attachment as on some posts?
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item388

Hi again, Sod's Law time :-[

You know, I looked at these drawings a thousand times for anything untoward. Typically after accessing the download to check the link I spot something. It's an anomally rather that an error - the dimension shown as 37.59 is correct but some how the arrow has become shortened. This dimension should be from the centre line of the crankshaft to the top of the port - same manner as dimensioned for the exhaust.

Sorry for any confusion - is there any way the Download can be removed and replaced with a correct one?

Regards - Ramon

Signing on for the ride - already downloaded.

There is no way to edit the downloads section (administrators only) send Bob "Maryak" a PM with the corrected attatchments or ask him to simply delete it and reload later.

I've had the same thing happen - finding an error after posting it in downloads is embarrasing to say the least.

Regards,
Ken

Beautiful drawing! What CAD program are you using?

I will be joining the crowd and looking over your shoulder during your build. Downloaded the file so I can follow better.

Vince

This is very exciting Ramon, these engines were legendary in their day, sort of Rolls-Royce status but they never could keep up with demand! I'm sure your enlarged version will be just as good quality-wise bravo.
Stew

Ramon

This one looks too good to miss, I remember these engines well, we used to use them in our model aircraft when I was a lad in the RAF in Germany, happy days, and I know what you mean about the aroma, very evocative.

Les

Hi Guy's it's good to hear you are as keen as I am. It appears however a bit too keen at this end - whoops :-[ :-[

I have just recieved a PM drawing my attention to the discrepancy of the updated dimension I gave earlier to the drawing as uploaded. ie 37.59 to 37.5.

When I noticed it this morning I opened up my GA on file and re-dimensioned it - a very definite 37.59.
having just checked my original GA layout drawing it is a very definite 37.5. This is the dimension used to calculate the timing using the timing calculator on the MEN site. Somehow, in converting the Layout drawing to a single layer GA the anomally of a reduced arrow length and the error has crept in.

I have emailed Bob 'Maryak' asking for the download to be removed if at all possible and will start over this time making certain it's correct - I'll also include the details for the timing calc this time too.

I've spent quite alot of time on these drawings and checked them prodigeously for mistakes - not a good start I have to admit :-[ but hopefully not an indicator of the road ahead.

Paulsv - The program is Autocad 2002. I'm very new to it, the Racer and Etas were done from pencil drawings but as I was drawing out the ETA I had a visit from two people who convinced me I should try CAD. I had struggled with it in the past so was very reluctant to try again but with their help I got to grips with those early learning problems and now can't imagine being without it. 2D is enough however, I don't think my old grey cells could cope with anything more advanced though I would like to learn how to do exploded views at some stage.

The blocks for two cases were cut off today and machining will begin on them tomorrow.

Apologies for the goof

Regards - Ramon

Hi again, just to say I've spent quite some time checking, double checking etc this morning and have just uploaded a revised GA and the drawing for the crankcase. I'd like to say that I'm now fairly confident that it is all okay but you know what that will mean ::) however I have given it a thorough going over.

Please bear in mind though that this is, as yet, an untried design so if you do spot any errors or ommissions it will be appreciated if you can point them out. In the meantime though, I'm off to tackle those crankcase blocks ;)

Regards for now - Ramon

Well I finally made it into the workshop after lunch and set to to make some swarf ;D.

Decided to do two cases just as with the Racers and Etas in case of any mishaps. That way if anything does go pear shape you don't have to go all the way back to square one unless of course it's pear shaped for the second time round :eek:

Began with a couple of blocks from 65mm square bar. I weighed them just for interest - 555 and 560gms it will be interesting to see just how much of that will become swarf
G32%2520001.JPG

These were roughed down to block size plus .5mm on all faces using a small (approx 30mm dia) flycutter
G32%2520002.JPG

The centres for the cavity and the liner were accurately spotted relative to each other -
G32%2520006.JPG

- before setting them in the four jaw to bore the cavities and drilling and reaming for the rear bush.
G32%2520007.JPG

The front face was skimmed to ensure squareness to the bore then an area which will cover that of the front housing taken to finished size (ie .5mm deep) the depth of the cavity being from this reccessed face.

Proceedings were held up somewhat due to swarf from last weeks chip producing efforts finding its way into the cross slide drive gearing and locking the leadscrew which meant a strip down - twice ::) - of the cross slide to clear it. Whatever, the day finished with the first stages successfully completed though I fear the coming stages will not be quite so straightforward as the previous engines scratch.gif
G32%2520008.JPG

A small start then but that first step

Regards for now - Ramon

Ps - Jason, I've looked into snipping but it's not on my system (Win XP) I tried a free downoad - 'Screen Capture' but could not make it work - any further suggestions ?

Back