Super easy sand muller

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darwenguy

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Heres a simple idea that may help somone out, this is the setup i have been using to mull sand, its simply a cement mixer with some iron balls inside it.
Its soo simple it may not be that obviouse.
First remove the paddles from the tub then just add some heavy balls, the two iron ball i use are from an old fly press.
I think some old shot put balls would aslo work well or maybe a heavy bowling bowl.
Ive been using this setup for around 3 years now it realy helps a lot and contributes to better mold and the mixer is still like new.

Hope it helps somone out.

I have been using the same setup for over ten years but with 3 10 pound lead balls. The balls are used for downrigger weights on fishing boats. Works great.

Mark T

Thanks for sharing. I was about to cut up an old cement mixer and add scrapers and spring loaded wheels in the bowel. Your way is much better.

Now to find two metal balls. Perhaps some old cannonball s will do?

Cheers,

Andrew in Melbourne

I tried using Bocce balls in my cement mixer today. The mulling certainly make the sand feel smoother and break much cleaner then before.

I am a Happy camper.

Cheers,

Andrew in Melbourne.

I would imagine that ANY heavy ball could be used. The sand might eventually wear out any softer material like wood, plastic or lead, but that would probably be your grandkids, or great-grandkids problem.

Don

Thanks for sharing. I was about to cut up an old cement mixer and add scrapers and spring loaded wheels in the bowel. Your way is much better.

Now to find two metal balls. Perhaps some old cannonball s will do?

Cheers,

Andrew in Melbourne
Great Idea - almost inspired - do you think that metal petaque balls would perform the same task as well?Heavy metal petanque boules are relatively inexpensive in France.

TerryD
k

Hi all,
Heres a simple idea that may help somone out, this is the setup i have been using to mull sand, its simply a cement mixer with some iron balls inside it.
Its soo simple it may not be that obviouse.
First remove the paddles from the tub then just add some heavy balls, the two iron ball i use are from an old fly press.
I think some old shot put balls would aslo work well or maybe a heavy bowling bowl.
Ive been using this setup for around 3 years now it realy helps a lot and contributes to better mold and the mixer is still like new.

Hope it helps somone out.

I start with a mixer.
Use for years
But drawback is sand would stick in side.
I have seen using a driveway and car and after running over with car pick it up and ready for mounding.

Dave

Latest posts

Back