Submitted for your admiration

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi2

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was at the steel merchants a while ago and came across an offcut of 5” schedule 80 pipe. I've wanted to make a flywheel out of heavy duty pipe for a while so I bought the offcut.
I managed to make the flywheel although the 5” pipe was at the very limit of what I could handle on my SC4 lathe and 4” dividing head.
Having made the flywheel, I then wanted to incorporate it into an engine. I wanted it to be a twin cylinder but I didn't want to go to the trouble of making a crankshaft. The problem with this is that with piston con rods sweeping across both ends of the flywheel shaft, I couldn't have a power takeoff shaft sticking out. I know most of our engines are only ornamental, but I think that - in theory at least - they should be capable of doing work.
I therefore came up with the cunning plan of machining grooves into the periphery of the crank discs so that - in theory - I can run a belt off them to a shaft which will perform some work.
The engine I ended up with is shown in the photos below. It runs quite slowly and will operate at air pressures down to 3psi.
I have attached a set of drawings and notes if anyone else wants to make one. Mind you, if I was doing it again I would go for some 4” pipe rather than 5”.
Regards,
Alan C.

View attachment Drawings.pdf

View attachment Notes.pdf

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Very nice work Allen! Working at the limits of your machines is sometimes quite frustrating by it looks like you used them to the utmost.
gbritnell

Latest posts

Back