SU1 updated with swarf guards and DRO

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxotnik

Reaction score
Finally got around to DRO for the Y axis.

Photos:

203413logax3swwsoc6cfo.jpg

203413wtem4ivi606mejk8.jpg

203413r58o3badt182pz32.jpg

203404b0r0o0foffbbfkmo.jpg

Interesting! How do you like that little machine?

Same question from me.I have seen the model advertised and noted that it
much heavier than similar sized vertical mills.I disregarded it ,as tooling
for a horiz mill is more expensive .How well does it work as a vert. and hor.
machine .I haven't seen many revues or tests

Interesting! How do you like that little machine?

It's fantastic. The only desktop knee mill in production as far as I am aware of. The knee mill format is really nice. The stock configuration only comes with one spindle, that alternate between horizontal and vertical positions. I took the spindle from a X1 mill of the same factory, and installed it ont eh SU1 as the vertical head, leaving the stock SU1 spindle in the horizontal postion. The X1 vertical head is a good match; the addition of a quill makes drilling operation hassle free.

Additionally, I had my SU1 reinforced with epoxy bonded quartz crystals fillings; so the column, knee, and overhead ram are all rock solid, I mean literally.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDXWqafVAXY&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

I like the machine in the sense that somebody took a chance on such a machine and offered it for sale. My biggest fear though is that the machine is a bit capacity limited for what I want in a mill. I need to see one in person.

how did you mount the x1 spindle on the su1. i would like very much to see pictures of how you did that. thanks Dan

how did you mount the x1 spindle on the su1. i would like very much to see pictures of how you did that. thanks Dan

Hi. I cut off portions of the X1 head assembly; and affixed it to the SU1 over arm with a custom made attachment piece.

065317ri26vizr61axb0vk.jpg

065311o1ip3njfenj5e5ae.jpg

065320nb0tgxixbaayj1m3.jpg

065322mej86zcayqqfye94.jpg

065905xibms3m6wbzjikrz.jpg

065907r2yrfvycf2syzkk4.jpg

065327xv1vvb1eeevtvqq1.jpg

065909cvvcbbvnkz7mthtn.jpg

070135a9p5kslthll9l9s8.jpg

070143qyr0aq3yabyyboor.jpg

Thank you for the reply and info, looks like a very good mod
I was looking the optimum BF20 head it looks like it would be a good fit, its a swivel head so I don't think it would require any parts to be cut off, just need to make a boss that fits the top of the SU1

M647  M650  BF20V manual 2-4-14.jpg

Hi. Perhaps a BF16 would fit better? Even the BF16 weighs in almost twice as much as the diminutive X1.

Thank you for the reply and info, looks like a very good mod
I was looking the optimum BF20 head it looks like it would be a good fit, its a swivel head so I don't think it would require any parts to be cut off, just need to make a boss that fits the top of the SU1

A most interesting mod!

Does this mod increase the work area of the machine? It could be wishful thinking on my part as one problem with this mill (the SU1) in my mind is the small working area especially under the vertical spindle. Might be my imagination as the mill just looks big in the pictures.

When it first came out i was impressed with the SU1 and seriously considered it for purchase when funds became available. How ever the published workspace dimensions scared me off. For some reason the mill looks "bigger" in these pictures.

I went away on the Christmas holiday when my question was answered. and the photographs posted but I logged in tonight and cannot see the photographs that were posted 12/27 and can not open them up. am I missing something do they only show for a few days or what. I would very much like to see them. as I am thin king about get this mill now.

Back