Stupid question, sort of related.....ish

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sidecar_jon

You know that stuff that lubricates the job as a lathe cuts (suds?) Well ive go this problem, my tiny car has for some time been drinking its cooling water. I've isolated the heater matrix as the source of the leak. The main rad holds water fine as long as the heater is off (a valve on the in pipe)... But i cant for the life of me find the leak, it buried amongst sound proofing material etc... A friend suggested colouring the water, and suggested Suds. Its white, dilutes well....might not explode... what do you think?

Hi Jon,
I wouldn't put something like this into my cooling system, it would be almost impossible to get rid of completely out of the system.
If you want something that will show up really well, go to the local chemist and ask for either proflavin or acriflavin in crystal or powder form, tell them it is for disinfecting your tropical fish tanks. When a minute amount of the crystals are added to water it turns a bright flurescent green. I think it is used mainly as an antiseptic treatment for burns, so the bit you have left over will always come in handy, and you can treat your tropical fish as well.

John

We use to use some stuff called Fluorscene (sp?) to trace water flow in caves
It is a fluorsent green and visible in very small amounts. It's been many
years since I did any caving so not sure where you would get it. Any local
caving groups??
...lew...

My thinking was that one used to be able to get "Water pump lube" to cure a screaming water pump on cars... ive just been to our friendly neighbourhood tool shop and they don't have any anyway..thanks for the suggestions ill try to follow em up soon... :?

ronm...sounds like a good plan too.

thanks for any suggestions at the moment its getting cold and i cant use the car heater at all....

Bogstandard said:
Put your wood burning stove in the car.

John

I would but the poor thing is falling apart even standing in the living room...

Hi Jon,

Then your in deeper trouble than I thought.

I wonder where that came from.
All I can now suggest is that you pray to whoever you follow that it doesn't snow.

Nice and warm John

Bogstandard said:
Hi Jon,

Then your in deeper trouble than I thought.

I wonder where that came from.
All I can now suggest is that you pray to whoever you follow that it doesn't snow.

Nice and warm John

yes it looks like i shouldn't have given away the last (Huge) stove i found.. (it was big and waiting for the scrap man in someone's drive way, i asked if it was going begging and was given it free) That went to a friend with five children!.. our present stove came just about the same way, even had to evict a fern from the top. hay i believe in the great comic delivery system, something will come along.

next option car wise is just switch the heater back on and feed it water every day.... oh and down here in Cornwall it don't generally snow much.

Just saw this post, hopefully you will have resolved this by now but if not ,a raw egg (just yhe white if you like) in the radiator is a very old trick, you'll see it bubbling out of the leak and then it sets ,this is also a good "get you home" trick ,it works with quite big leaks for a day or so and then it breaks down to nothing...Giles

Well its not resolved, i just put more water in when i think of it.... its one of them Jobs to do one day.

Latest posts

Back