Stuart Twin Launch Engine from set of castings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shearwater

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my Stuart Twin Launch engine built from a set of castings,
the crankshaft is not included in the set or any of the reverse gear.
I made the crankshaft webs from 30mm dia ENiA and brazed them to
the silver steel shaft, I also scratch built the Scotch return flue boiler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgS2UK9VP7o&feature=youtu.be

Edited to embed link - Arnold

Hi shearwater

Welcome to HMEM!

That's quality-looking engine and boiler building you show in the video Thm:

Do you have a video of the engine running under steam ? - that would be great!

Kind regards, Arnold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTblV02MWrY&feature=youtu.be
Hi Arnold, This is a video of the engine running on 20psi compressed air.
not easy on your own to hold camera and tacho, the flywheel is not running out its covered with black tape to get a tacho reading.
The boiler has been hydraulic tested to 160 psi and steamed with pressure relief valve set at 60 psi.

Mick

Great pieces of work Shearwater. Did you work to a particular set of drawings for your boiler? I would love to see them as the unit appears to be very robust.

BC1
Jim

;D Thanks for the video Mick Thm:

It runs well on air - I like the slow-speed running.

;D Keep us updated on your progress - the bits visible from the boat itself looks great as well!

Kind regards, Arnold

bearcar1 said:
Great pieces of work Shearwater. Did you work to a particular set of drawings for your boiler? I would love to see them as the unit appears to be very robust.

BC1
Jim

Hi Jim, I did not work from a set of plans, a very good friend of mine
a very experienced engine who has built many boilers and engines steered me in the right direction as this is only my second venture into
steam.

Regards Mick

Dang that is sharp looking boat, engine and boiler. I am very impressed. I'm building a Stuart triple right now as my first engine and forray into metal working, and have an old Stuart twin launch casting kit being sent to me at the moment for my next engine. I think it will be some time before I consider making a boiler or a boat. Your pictures are quite inspirational.

Robin

Hello All,
im done with my Stuart twin steam launch enginne but my drawings got messed up and need the distance between the drag links if any one could help would be of great help.
Thank You
Alec

Hello All,
im done with my Stuart twin steam launch enginne but my drawings got messed up and need the distance between the drag links if any one could help would be of great help.
Thank You
Alec

Hi Alec,

I noticed some time ago you asked this question on R/Cgroup forum and I asked you to P.M. and I would see if I could help.
On not hearing from you I assumed that you had received the info else where, however I now see that you have been unwell so here is a pic of the drag links which I hope is what you want, my drawing is very old and a bit hard to read so if you have any questions just ask.

Hope this helps.

George.

Drag links Stuart compound.jpg

Beautiful craftwork on both woodwork and metalwork. :cool:

Hi Alec,

I noticed some time ago you asked this question on R/Cgroup forum and I asked you to P.M. and I would see if I could help.
On not hearing from you I assumed that you had received the info else where, however I now see that you have been unwell so here is a pic of the drag links which I hope is what you want, my drawing is very old and a bit hard to read so if you have any questions just ask.

Hope this helps.

George.

Yes Thank You Very Much how is your drawing of the handle ? mine is mostly gone.
Alec Ryals

George,
Thank You very much for the drag link I was off quite a bit lol.but now looking for the handle as the drawing got really messed up.
Thank You will post pictures soon
Alec Ryals

George,
Thank You very much for the drag link I was off quite a bit lol.but now looking for the handle as the drawing got really messed up.
Thank You will post pictures soon
Alec Ryals

Hi Alec,

My drawing is of very poor quality and when scanned onto my desk top it's unreadable.

I have inked in most of the dimensions and taken a pic of it which is not bad for clarity.

These prints are a disgrace to anybody buying them from Stuart , the drawing is dated 24-3-55 and mine looks as tho' that's when it was printed.

Hope this helps.

George.

Reverse lever Stuart compound engine..jpg

Back