• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Stuart Turner model set

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaFarmer

Reaction score
I'm curious to if this set has any value, or does it need to be restored to have value. I know little about the models but I have books that pertain to them that date from 1900's to the 1950's

Attachments

• IMG_20211201_145814.jpg
    IMG_20211201_145814.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_20211201_145946.jpg
    IMG_20211201_145946.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_20211201_145225.jpg
    IMG_20211201_145225.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_20211201_145851.jpg
    IMG_20211201_145851.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20211201_145825.jpg
    IMG_20211201_145825.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_20211201_145931.jpg
    IMG_20211201_145931.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 295
I really have no idea of a fair price, could you give me an honest evaluation?

Shot your shoot, I would like the sell the whole set just so I don't have miscellaneous pieces and it would be more difficult to sell.

Most of these items are Stuart Turner models. You have a No. 500 boiler, A boiler hand feed pump, a 10V engine, an S50 engine, a beam engine, a dynamo, and an ST oscillating engine. There is also a centrigugal pump that I am pretty sure is not a Stuart one. There is another hand pump adapted for belt drive, and the gunmetal cube looks as though it might be part of a steam boiler feed pump or something of the sort. There are also a couple of the stamped Terry's BA spanners that were supplied with Stuart engines.

If you were in the UK, and you could stand the faff, I would strongly suggest putting them on Ebay individually with plenty of photos, where each of the larger items would likely fetch over £100, despite being 'unrestored'. Someone else might be better able to comment on the US Ebay market.

With that said, would it be better if I restored the equipment? If I was to sell it, I would prefer to be a one and done type of situation. Thank you for the information, it's difficult to try and research something when you don't know model or correct vocabulary.

Hi Mr. Farmer, I reckon in the UK the Stuart single engine could raise between £100 and £200 - depending on what the market decides and which single it is (it looks quite big?). The beam engine, maybe, over £150..
The generator £50 or more?...
These will bring the biggest return if sold separately. Less than half if sold as a set - I guess?
Fully restored they may get double my guesses, but do you plan to convert your time doing the restoration into cash? Or save you time and sell "as they are"?
I have bought unrestored engines for half or less than their marketable value, but it is a fickle market, and depending on the season can vary by 30% below top value. Of course, there are always "works of art" that sell for hundreds of pounds, but I reckon you should get over £500 for all these sold separately as they are. But remember, E&@y et al take 1 or 2% commision, and you have post and packing costs (£10 per item on average for these things?) to be absorbed - or possibly the selling price will be reduced a bit if shown as aan extra cost. - There is only so much money out there, and the punters (including me) decide their limit per item when bidding, and always want to "beat the market value". To be human it to be selfish and look after oneself within one's means/choice.
I guess shipping costs in the US may be different, as is the market for selling these things, but you have my humble opinion.
K2

Am I right in guessing from your profile they are in Texas USA? If so, shipping back to the UK / EU may be very costly. A Stuart collector near you would probably give you a decent price.
A lot of the items look to have quite a bit of surface rust. Do they turn freely? I'm sure you could make them look nice for ebay. I'd estimate around $100 for teh smaller items, and if the boiler holds pressure, maybe 200-300 for that. The large beam engine, i've seen go for a wide range. Yours probably ~200 mark.

Due to the state of them all, i'd expect someone would want a bulk discount if taking them all. (If it was a complete steam plant, i'd say the opposite)

Just my 2c.

Hope they find a good home!

Del

Greetings,
I am in Colorado, and have bought, sold, built, a number of stuart engines in the past 10 years.
To set a price, I would go to the Stuart Website, and look at the price for the units as un-built, un-machined casting kits.
This is because each of the units will need to be rebuilt and the labor will be reflected in the pricing.

Stuart engines that are newly built and can be seen to be running smoothly will fetch a much higher price then the same
model as a "rusty barn find". So just giving them some love and oil and a little elbow-grease can increase the price.

Just remember that a 1 British pound = about $1.35 $USD when you are estimating value.
Ebay commissions are currently 12% on this stuff. But I bet someone here will buy.
Using USPS Flat rate Priority Mail boxes helps keep costs down. You can find shipping estimates on
the USPS website.

Just my thoughts

Regards,
Jim Pope
Denver, CO

Yes, they all have value, also the books you have, do not try and restore anything let the buyer and new owner take care of that..

I went through and gave this one a half decent clean, lubricated all bearings and a simple wire wheel, I can let this one go for $350, it rotates freely

Attachments

• 16385632084631699179665934692248.jpg
    16385632084631699179665934692248.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 16385632328891042394912825100110.jpg
    16385632328891042394912825100110.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 194
"I went through and gave this one a half decent clean, lubricated all bearings and a simple wire wheel, I can let this one go for $350, it rotates freely"

Sometimes a wire wheel can be the kiss of death, how many times have you seen a antique part or tool for sale that has been wire wheeled to death and painted,? I see that all the time at swap meets..

There's a nice example on E&@y for £180... or offers?
But you should search USA sites to find what they are worth over in your dollar haven. Remember, most buyers with money only want a single engine, money pinching dealers want a job lot at half price. But it depends who is buying on the day of sale. I sold a few burners I had surplus. Estimated £15 each. But 1 went at £8, one at £25, and the rest anywhere between! It just depended on who was buying, and when.
K2

Look to the Stuart site. Look at the price of the casting sets, and then realise that Stuart's do sell *some* of their models ready to run, at six times the casting set price. For many people on this list, the joy of building castings into engines is what it's all about... To gauge real collector interest, just put each one of yours up on ebay individually, with a silly reserve price- if someone wants to buy, sell! If not, you'll have an insight into the current market... You don't have to sell through eBay, but you can use them for research, for free. Easy.

Also bear in mind that finished engines that Stuart's don't sell themselves should command a bit of a premium, if nicely built and finished.

You'd best be aware that if you don't clean and repaint them, someone will probably buy in order to do just that, then turn them around again. Best return for a bit of elbow grease and two pots of paint will come from the beam, and the no.4 vertical engine. The latter can actually be regarded as a small working engine, in fact.

Incidentally, there has been a Stuart centrifugal pump offered; it was designed to couple with their "sirius" engine. The castings have been going in and out of production for years, as has the model. The one you have just might be one of those.

-Andrew UK

Latest posts

Back