Stuart Triple new build

Help Support HMEM:

GreenTwin

Reaction score
Thanx. Yes, it explains a lot. However, I thimpfks that it would be possible to carve this in CI. I wonder what Stuart would charge for just these two castings. (and how much shipping would be to USA). There is another triple expansion engine I am interested in, I thimpfks with a condenser. As far as I know, there are no castings available for this other one.
I was wondering that too (Why not put all three cylinders into a single casting?).
I guess you could cast a monolithic block if you used piston valves.

Emers

Reaction score
And now for a little bling. I decided to make dome nuts for the column/cylinder block connection. Using brass as this was in stock I did a drawing and machined the dome first then holding in a collet chuck drilled and tapped to 4 BA.

20220623_Tapping.jpg

20220623_Finished Dome Nuts.jpg

On Block.jpg

20220623_Progress.jpg

Did not get as much done this week as I wanted paying work first to cover hobby costs hopefully more next week.

Emers

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Today I decided to make some gaskets, there are several on the model. I start by drawing the gasket in cad and save as a dxf file then using a laser I purchased recently I cut them all out.
Worked great.

20220704_Gasket.jpg

I link to YT showing a short video of my laser inaction

minh-thanh

Reaction score
Emers !

A great project!
Thanks for sharing.
I have always liked steam engines, especially steam trains
Making a steam train is one of my goals .

Mechanicboy

Reaction score
Emers..

I spend 2,5 year to complete the Stuart triple expansion steam engine with the manual tools and jiggs etc. 😊

Not a new beginner project as this engine is the most complex and dificult to machine, many machinists give up part way through construction so part completed models are often found for sale.

Emers

Reaction score
Yes I agree it is a complex and difficult but with a little patience and taking it slow I feel it will be completed. Not certain of the time yet but I will push on and post my progress.
Cheers
Everyone

kvom

Reaction score
I met a guy at Cabin Fever who built this as his first engine (or so he claims). But he had as a mentor one of the top model builders.

Latest posts