Stuart Triple Expansion Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can you tell the timing is bad? I don't run it long enough on air to freeze the pipes but they sure got cold>
Thanks
Alec Ryals

I see quite a few compound engines with what looks like a pressure relive valve atop the cylinder heads is this for water?
Thank You
Alec

How can you tell the timing is bad? I see quite a few compound engines with what looks like a pressure relive valve atop the cylinder heads is this for water?
Thank You
Alec

Bad timing --> Driving fast in forward and slowly in reverse due wrong timing excenter and misaligned slide and may cause it is impossible to run a triple steam engine with air. In triple steam engine, a cylinder go fast in forward and the other cylinder walk slowly in the same direction of rotation and creates more problems for the man to adjust properly if any do not adjust one for each cylinder first before steam pipes are mounted in place. I have read in the internet that some of those who had built Stuart triple steam engines have had problems with timing and given up and sold off because they could not get Stuart triple steam engine to walk properly either it ran on steam or air.

In real big steam engines have some an overpressure valve to relieve the steam engine in case the pressure is too large to destroy or exceed load steam engine. In model steam engine is mounted dummy parts on the cylinderhead to look realistic.

Would you consider selling it?
Thank You
Alec Ryals

Well im in the Hospital now and then a nursing home for 5 weeks an I cant sit up LOL YIKES any way all went well but I seem to of lost your number an cant fing that post.
Thank You
Alec Ryals cell 650-380-0548:)

I'm waiting to finish with triple steam engine because I was operated in foot for osteoarthritis in big toe on Thursday the 9th, 5 days ago. Continuing to finish with triple steam engine and write more about my work in the forum when I feel good. Today I have the painful to walk around after surgery.

1 fot.jpg

I'm waiting to finish with triple steam engine because I was operated in foot for osteoarthritis in big toe on Thursday the 9th, 5 days ago. Continuing to finish with triple steam engine and write more about my work in the forum when I feel good. Today I have the painful to walk around after surgery.

Im in the hopital now also then on to a nursing home for 4 weeks hence I ha a small pressure sore on my butt, hence im in a wheelchair.

Get well soon !

Thanks, get well soon to you!

Wow Ive survived almost 6 weeks of off my but so my plastic will hold 10 to go an I'm very anxious to start machining again, Ive been polishing some bronze rods and sole plate for a twin and compound I'm building nurses don't care. LOL
Alec

I am back! Today i maked the center pin to locate where the fastening hole will be located on slide plate with arm part #63 without difficulties. When the arm is placed on center pin, give it a light wack with hammer. Use same center pin to locate center before drilling the arm. The piston rod for vacuum pump is screwed on slide plate with arm without binding or drag under full stroke in both ways. See the series of pictures.. :)

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

Make a extra punch point top of the pump plunger and do it same manner as i did with centering pin for vacuum pump, see in the post #170. After hole in arm is drilled, remove punch point. :)

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

Make a extra punch point top of the pump plunger and do it same manner as i did with centering pin for vacuum pump, see in the post #170. After hole in arm is drilled, remove punch point. :)

Yes my water pump was right on but the vacuum pump was off a bit so I opened up the hole and used nuts on both sides to allow it to fin its happy place. after that I thought about doing it this way and will do so on my next triple. Thank You
Alec Ryals

Yes my water pump was right on but the vacuum pump was off a bit so I opened up the hole and used nuts on both sides to allow it to fin its happy place. after that I thought about doing it this way and will do so on my next triple. Thank You
Alec Ryals

Not easy to make exact measure each time depending on builder and use of tools.. :)

I took the film one month before I mounted vacuum pump and water pump. This was the test run and checked that everything would be fine. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhXqMLKHeQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhXqMLKHeQ[/ame]

Cool it runs so smoothly! it took me a while to get timed mine timed but finally did thanks to your advice, I always heard a triple wont run on air ? but they do just not efficiently! I like the look of your reverse thread and hand wheel.
Keep up the Great Work

Cool it runs so smoothly! but they do just not efficiently! I like the look of your reverse thread and hand wheel.
Keep up the Great Work

Thanks, .. :) Air has not expansion as steam will do it, also steam will expanding about 3600 times (i am not sure if i remember right).

it took me a while to get timed mine timed but finally did thanks to your advice, I always heard a triple wont run on air ?

In case the timing is not correct, triple steam engine will not run on air pressure as you can see the movie of the Stuart triple is running with air connected to low pressure cylinder. I can not be 100% sure that this Stuart triple in the film has been poorly adjusted to run properly. I have read in the forum in other website for model steam engines that Stuart triple was difficult to adjust and run properly. Therefore, I solved the problem by adjusting a cylinder at a time and test the pressure of air in each cylinder before all the cylinders were connected via manifolds. There you and perhaps others in the forum learned to adjust a triple steam machine without difficulty.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqn1wlsQeTQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqn1wlsQeTQ[/ame]

Latest posts

Back