Stuart Triple Expansion Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wounder what type of fitting is intended to fit the flat face an I think its a #5 BA thread on the water pump inlet an outlet.
Alec

Alec..

I can think me the fittings is the banjo pipe fitting..

banjo-tube-fittings-250x250.jpg

I am making the vacuum pump and drilling the hole for vacuum pump in the soleplate. The problem is the machine tool who the home worker do not have: Big lathe + faceplate or a big milling machine. The solution ---> see the photo what i did. First center is set, then clean drilling with boring tool for be sure the hot spots in cast iron in sole plate is removed and in correct size 3/4". And next drill 3/4" to make 60 degree bottom in the hole for vacuum pump. To prevent the soleplate is rotating: let the soleplate lying on apron with the steelplate between the apron and soleplate for smooth moving. Under work, be sensitive to avoid accident during work. :)

Very Nice Work Well Done !

A banjo fitting that screws into a 5BA hole would surely be too restrictive for your feed pump? The pump connections ought to have a clear passage something like half the diamater of the pump ram.

5BA is not correct size, see in the drawings of body of water pump where 4BA is threaded both inlet and outlet of the body of water pump.

I have looked for pipe connections that should have 4BA thread for water pump in Stuart Models homepage. There are not there, I do not understand why they produced water pump with other thread dimension than that found listed in Stuart Models homepage. Water passage between water pump and valve house is 2.05 mm (0.080") and blind screw is a 7BA screw. Banjo screw 4BA has an outer diameter of 3.6 mm (0.1417") and can have 2.05 mm (0.080") holes in the banjo screw. I would choose stainless steel because of toughness and could screw deep enough inside the water pump to whithstand pressure of feeding water. Or other alternative: Make an union with 4BA treads for water pump.

In case the model engineer do not have indexing tools or save time to make fastening hole (i has indexing table): Make correct distance and indexing of fastening hole with Turbocad or Autocad, then print out paper with absolute size before drilling the fastening hole on the flange --> see what i did. :)

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Very Nice work, I had to use screws to hold the water pump on hence I didnt install it first ! an acess is almost impossible once the engine is assembled I couldn't aford the $56.00 + price tag on the #9 tapered reamer so I use 1/32 roll pins but they sheared how did that home made reamer work on making the tapered #9 holes, maybe I will try 1/16 roll pins If I cant get one of those home made d-reamers to work!
Thank You
Alec Ryals

Hello ,
I wonder what size condenser I should build for the triple ?\any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Alec Ryals

I couldn't aford the $56.00 + price tag on the #9 tapered reamer so I use 1/32 roll pins but they sheared how did that home made reamer work on making the tapered #9 holes, maybe I will try 1/16 roll pins If I cant get one of those home made d-reamers to work!
Thank You
Alec Ryals

Forged tapered #9 holes..

I used 2 mm pin of pianowire. The lever is fastened first to correct place then drilled 2 mm and fastened with 2 mm pin + locktite 638.

The plan of condenser is here.. :)

Kondensator.jpg

Hello Jens,
I just started a Stuart triple yahoo club an can enter your email address if you send it to me and any others you may know
Thank You
Alec Ryals [email protected]

Im going to make a condenser with removable covers I wonder how to add the divider maybe a leaf spring loaded divider ?
Alec

I made a 2 piece vacuum pump piston with a Teflon gap-less ring with Lambert groves in it and works very well compared to no ring.
Alec

DSCN4726.jpg

DSCN4721.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all,
I just started a yahoo steam engine club
Alec Ryals

Well I timed each cylinder then hooked up the pipes for steam an low an behold it will run on air pressure I didn't think this was possible!
Alec Ryals

Last edited:
Well I timed each cylinder then hooked up the pipes for steam an low an behold it will run on air pressure I didn't think this was possible!
Alec Ryals

Yes, it works when the timing is correct in each cylinder when the triple steam engine will running on air. Did you get frozzen steam pipes between each cylinder? :)

Here is a example the Stuart triple is bad timed hence the owner ran the Stuart triple with air connected to low pressure cylinder only. Also the owner had problems to adjust the right timing for each cylinder and tested with air for each cylinder before the steam pipes is connected.

https://youtu.be/Yqn1wlsQeTQ

Yes, it works when the timing is correct in each cylinder when the triple steam engine will running on air. Did you get frozzen steam pipes between each cylinder? :)

Here is a example the Stuart triple is bad timed hence the owner ran the Stuart triple with air connected to low pressure cylinder only. Also the owner had problems to adjust the right timing for each cylinder and tested with air for each cylinder before the steam pipes is connected.

https://youtu.be/Yqn1wlsQeTQ

How can you tell the timing is bad? I don't run it long enough on air to freeze the pipes but they sure got cold>
Thanks
Alec Ryals

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back